Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Fun with Fungi

Hammering in the spore pellets


A friend gave us a gift of shitake spores and they must be embedded in a newly cut hardwood log by the end of February.  My husband stalked tree trimmers working in our neighborhood for the right tree limb.  He found a trio of cherry logs, newly cut.  They must be live healthy trees and in their dormant part of the life cycle - i.e. winter.

To plant the spores, he drilled holes in the logs and packed them with spawn/spores which looked like tiny corks.  Each tapped hole must be sealed with cheese wax immediately after the spawn in inserted.

Packed and waxed spores

Then we moved the logs to a shady spot behind our workshop where the temperature in summer is between 60 and 80 degrees.  That is it.  Time will tell if we did this properly!



Hopefully we will have shitake mushrooms sometime this year - we will keep you posted!  Has anybody else done this before?  Let me know how it came out.

3 comments:

Kea said...

Good heavens, I didn't even know this was done. So I learned something this morning.

But I love mushrooms (to eat and to take pics of), so I'll be interested to see if this works!

NCmountainwoman said...

I haven't done it but my neighbor has. She had great success and very tasty mushrooms right off her own log.

meowmeowmans said...

That's really cool! We love Shiitake mushrooms, and look forward to seeing how yours grow. :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis