Monday, January 28, 2013

Lake Louise Rainbows and Waterfalls

See the rainbow?

The ice storm of the other day fizzled out when the temps got over freezing.  Fine by me!  The next day was sunny and all the ice had melted away.  I had errands to run north of town and stopped by Lake Louise in Weaverville for a brisk walk around the lake.  The ducks thought I had food and kept pace with me as I walked.


 It is a small park with a playground for the kids and a community center.  The walking trail takes you around the lake and it not very long.  Some folks were doing laps with their dogs but it was a bit too breezy for me.  The sun was hitting the fountain just right to create a dazzling rainbow. 




On my way back, I noticed the water wheel and went down to investigate.  The waterfall was an unexpected surprise.  As I have mentioned before - I am drawn to trails near water and this made my day! 

I was not able to find any info about the waterwheel or falls.  Apparently Lake Louise was named Lake Juanita back in 1910 when it was created.  Trolleys used to run from Asheville out to Weaverville to this area to give the city folk a day in the country!It was made into a park in later years.  The trolleys have long since stopped running but people do still come out here, now  just 10 minutes from the city to have lunch and get a dose of small town life





Our temps will be in the 60s this week for a couple of more days - hope to get out and see something new to photograph!  Have a good one yourself!

5 comments:

Kea said...

Oh, I do love the falls and waterwheel, most especially.

Yes, I feel the sun you're sending. Please send some warm temps too. LOL.

Old Kitty said...

Nice to see the rainbow and the surprise waterfall too!!

Take care
x

Jo said...

I love the rainbow, Cheri. But the waterfall and water wheel is my favorite. Thanks for sharing. Jo

NCmountainwoman said...

Beautiful photographs. I love that waterfall.

Appalachian Lady said...

I love waterfalls too and that water wheel is fun. That would be great to have such a nice lake near you. Great photo of the duck too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis