Monday, January 9, 2012

Steep Slope Homes


I hope you had a wonderful holiday - I took an impromptu break to catch up on other projects. A belated Happy New Year to all!


I thought I would try to find some images that show some unique and unusual things about the place I call home beginning with this post.

 
It never ceases to amaze me that people build houses on steep slopes, ending up with absolutely no usable land to walk on around their house - just decks instead of a yard.  Here is one going up just off Route 9.  Sitting below the twisty winding road , it is built on a cement slab. They had to haul off  dirt to level off a place for the house. It is going to be 3 stories high with decks in back and the front door faces a dirt wall.  How safe can this be?

The homes in the pic below sit on Riverside Drive with their back decks jutting out over the street below. It would scare me living in a place like this!


Do you have limits on building steep slopes in your town or do they do this?

11 comments:

judi/Gmj said...

Hi I don't get by often anymore, but sure enjoy it when I can. My thought is what about drainage in the first two shots.. Wow.

Prancer Pie said...

OMC! Those are sum skeery yards (or lack thereof). We don't haf that around here, but then again, we don't lif in the mountains!

Old Kitty said...

My stars!! Those houses hanging off the edge?!?! Why?!?!?! LOL!

There are very very very strict planning laws per council here in the UK (as far as I know!). People moan but it's madness (just my opinion!!) like the ones here that the planning laws are trying to restrict! LOL!

Take care
x

Jenn June said...

Oh my goodness! I have to say, this is something I see here all the time and it really shocked me at first. We moved here to NC from MI a little over a year ago and it never ceases to amaze me when I see houses built in situations like what you showed it this post. MI is flat so it's an entirely different world.

Carolinaman said...

I live just north of Lake Lure, N.C., and most rural areas have absolutely NO rules about where a house can be built. However, most insurance companies will NOT cover any damage caused by landslides or falling rocks. If these people have a mortgage, they won't be able to get the required insurance. Look what people have been doing in Southern California for decades. Obviously some people have alot more money than sense.

ladyfi said...

I'd be scared off falling off the edge. Very cool houses though!

Carver said...

I agree that it's odd how people will buy houses on steep slopes and hanging over the edge. I noticed your comment about California and I remember a geology professor talking about how crazy it was that people bought super expensive houses in California at the beach with the houses hanging over the side of cliffs in very unstable situations.

jeannette said...

Some people like to live dangerously, lol!

Appalachian Lady said...

If you didn't build on a steep site, you might not have many homes in the mountains around here. But, people do get carried a way with it, especially those on stilts. Interesting post.

Cathedral Rock said...

Those homes are sure in a precarious position. But interesting to live in one I suppose :)

psychelyn said...

That looks scary, I would be scared too if I'd be living in a house like that. In Philippines we have some houses with very tall pillars because they stand on waters (sea/ocean) but at least if they fall, it'd be on water. Interesting post, it's the first time I've seen such house type :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis