Sunday, June 19, 2011

River Arts District Studio Stroll June 2011


It seems like I did more posts in the winter than I am doing now that the nice weather has arrived.  It could be that I am busy doing things and visiting places to use for my posts.  Between that, work, caring for my rescued cats and doing the blogs, I have even less time to get online.  Please forgive me for not getting back to all of you who visit - I am slowly working my way through.



Last weekend was the River Arts District Studio Stroll in Asheville.  Over 100 artists have studios in this old industrial warehouse area down by the river and train tracks.  Every June and November they host a weekend open house where you can stop by to see them at work, buy art and enjoy the atmosphere.  It covers a rather large area so I decided to visit studios I did not make it to last year.

I will do a two-part feature on the stroll beginning with the Pink Dog Creative studios along with a restaurant I discovered in the complex.  Brad Stroman is the husband of a friend of mine and I was eager to see the new studio he had moved into.


Unlike some of the older buildings, it is bright and spacious with lots of great light.  Located on Depot Street, it is a bit away fromt he center of the arts district but worth the walk.  Opened recently, the building originally housed textile manufacturers and warehouse.



Brad explains that  his paintings "reflect the intimate and fragile relationship between man and nature."  Using the Zen Buddhist concept of Wabi-sabi he shows how that all things are impermanent, incomplete and imperfect..  An explanation of wabi-sabi is below.  His work is delicate yet colorful and is in galleries all over the country.  For more information on his work, please visit his website here.










Just down the street from the Pink Dog is a relatively new restaurant that I had not been to before called The Magnetic Field.  Don't you love the name? They offer a cafe, bar with bands and dancing and live professional theater.




The menu was eclectic and the food superb. The food is mostly local meats, cheeses, produce and beers. We coud not decide so ordered several plates to share - quiche, arugula salad and crab cakes.



The decor is modern with lots of dining areas indoors and outside. I will have to come back to try the theater - the offerings looked to be quite interesting! They have a great website here.








Outdoor Wednesday

16 comments:

catsynth said...

Sounds like a fun day of art and good food. It's great to hear about the arts districts and scenes in places where our online friends live!

Cher' Shots said...

I love taking online strolls. Great post but a little hard to read that print. Might just be my eyes.
'hugs from afar'

Old Kitty said...

What a hub of creativity!! How lovely!! Yay for Mr Stroman and the philosophy imbedded in his art! His paintings are so delicate. I can see the fragility and the impermanence - oh but they are beautiful!

Great that you had such a lovely meal after too!!! Wonderful!! What a fun day, thanks for sharing, take care
x

Odie Langley said...

Loved the stroll and especially the restaurant. Linda and I like trying new restaurants and experimenting with things we have not eaten before. I have stroll on my blog today as well. Glad to see you back.

Liz said...

Wonderful photos.

Have a fabulous week!

Liz @ MLC

Marites said...

i love the colorful buildings! Felt like I went on a real stroll with you. Very nice shots!

Kim, USA said...

Wow looks like it's fun, art is totally awesome, and the food looks very good!! Great shot and thanks for sharing!

Asian Lilies

Maria @ LSS said...

Sounds like fun. The cafe looks cozy.

eileeninmd said...

Sounds like a fun day, checking out the art and eating some good food. Great post and photos. Happy Ruby Tuesday!

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

Plenty of red--my favorite color!--in your photos!

WOMAN IN THE SCARLET COAT

Woman in the scarlet coat,
Are you heading for a boat?
Or perhaps you need a bus
To get far away from us.
Whether wheels or sails you take
Don’t forget the chocolate cake
To sustain you on your way;
Red-clad damsel, now we say,
“Go with grace, enjoy the ride,
See you on the other side!”


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher

Faded Red Sidewalk

LV said...

It would have been nice to be there with you. Guess I will settle for going through your lens.

Carver said...

I always enjoy it when I go to Asheville. Thank you for taking us there through your photography.

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Oh boy, oh boy, oh boy!!! I would LOVE to have been with you on this trek!! My kinda day spent. Excellent.


Winston on a blanket of Flowers is my Tuesday Link. Hope to see you visiting today.

LivingSoAbundantly said...

It's fun to try to places. A dinner theater is something my hubby and I want to try. :)

EG Wow said...

This looks like the kind of place I like to visit. There's so much to see and do!

LindyLouMac in Italy said...

I would have certainly chosen crab cakes :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis