Monday, June 27, 2011

Local Beer and Singing Bowls

The Wedge Studio

I promised to post the rest of the River Arts District Studio Stroll.  This studio is called The Wedge on Roberts Street in Asheville.  Built in 1916 the building, once a food warehouse, now houses a number of artists on the street level and below by the railroad tracks.  Ashehville has been chosen Best Small City for Art and it shows.

Sign in window.



Rather than show all of artists in this building, which I covered last year, I want to share one of my favorites.  Marston Blow creates incredible singing bowls out of pottery.  They are usually made of brass or glass.  From the street side, you enter her showroom displaying all sorts of plates, vases, bowls and more for sale along with her singing bowls.


Inside Marston set up a table with bowls of all sizes to encourage visitors to try one out.  If you are not familiar with this meditation method I will explain how to use the bowl.  You hold the wood mallet lightly in your hand and run it around the edge of the bowl.  After a few seconds, the bowl will start to vibrate and hum or sing.  Large bowls make deeper tones and smaller ones higher tones.  The tones they emit encourage healing , meditation and a calm state of mind.  The sound in the room was soothing with everyone trying their hand on the bowls.  To learn more about Marston and her singing bowls check out her web site here.


My singing bowl.
My husband gave me a bowl for Christmas last year.  I went with him to pick it out since I wanted to choose the tone and size.  I love mine and use it often.

Marston, the artist showing how to use the bowls.


Just below her studio there are steps going down to the lower level of The Wedge and to the Wedge Brewing Company, a local microbrewery.  For the second year in a row, Asheville was named Beer City USA for all of its local beers made here.

View from above of trains and brewery.
The brewery offers about 6-7 of their own locally made beers on tap with indoor and outdoor seating.  If you like trains, it is fun to be here when one goes by.  They also have live music outside to entertain the patrons - usually a local band.

Metal sculpted fence around the outside seating area.



A food truck offers edibles outside the Wedge.

Some pups jostling for a spot in the shade.
Hope you enjoyed the tour.  If I keep having issues with downloading pics I will just do a photo or two rather than a long post.  See you on the weekend.

17 comments:

Mariodacat said...

Mario's mom here - I love Asheville, NC. It's so beautiful there and the arts community so active and interesting.

Fuzzy Tales said...

Such a wonderful tour, thank you! Local beer...mmmm, yum! And that singing bowl--I've never seen one before, didn't know there was such a thing. Wonderful!

Odie Langley said...

Seems like an amazing place to spend a day.

ladyfi said...

How lovely. Singing bowls are wonderful!

Old Kitty said...

Ashville sounds like my kind of town! I want to move there now - home grown local beer and amazing arts and crafts!! Heaven! Thank you for introducing me to the wonderful world of singing bowls. I had to re-read that phrase but no - they are so singing bowls!! Amazing!! Take care
x

Robin said...

How lovely, I've only ever seen the metal ones. Asheville looks like a really wonderful place to explore.

-----------------------------------
My photography is available for purchase - visit Around the Island Photography and bring home something beautiful today!

Appalachian Lady said...

What a strong arts community Asheville has. I have always heard good things about Asheville--your post confirms it.

VioletSky said...

I love the idea of the singing bowls.

Mama Zen said...

I would love to have one of those bowls!

Genie said...

Love your pictures, but dog gone it...I so not remember this area. I really am getting old. Hope all is well in Black Mt. Bud and I went to visit Weezie over Memorial Day so doubt I will get back this summer. Take care. Genie

Liz said...

Wonderful photos!

My entries:
Moms...Check Nyo
Yummy-as-can-be

NatureFootstep said...

interesting post. I used to have some singing glasses. :)

Linnea said...

What a charming town! It's nice to see support for local artists. Nice shots you're sharing. Thanks for stopping by.

Joyful said...

What a wonderful shop. I love pottery.

Roan said...

Sounds like a great place to visit. I lived in Raleigh in the early 90's, and drove past this area many times. Looks like I should have stopped. Wonderful post!

Arija said...

I love singing bowls and have an antique bronze one from Tibet.

NCmountainwoman said...

Next time we are in Asheville, I'm getting one of those bowls. They are lovely and I know I would love making them sing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis