Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Hiking in Montreat


On a warmish day this week, I drove to the tiny town of Montreat.  It sits at the base of Mount Greybeard of the Black Mountains surrounded by thousands of acres of preserved wilderness.  The town is home for Montreat College and Conference Center.  At the entrance to the town you can pull over, park your car, cross the rustic bridge  and have access to numerous hiking trials.




Today I was more interested in walking along this creek which is fed upstream by Lake Susan. We had some rain recently and the water burbled and splashed over the rocks at a steady pace. It was late afternoon and the sun glistened on the water. The trees were bare except for a few rhododendrons.  In summer this place is very cool and shady.








I love to come here for a short peaceful walk when the weather permits.  I hope you enjoyed the visit with me.

12 comments:

indicaspecies said...

I'd love to walk along that creek too.

Odie Langley said...

Now that is my kind of place to be. I just love being near running water. We have a state park (Medoc Mountain State Park) that also has many trails and Fishing Creek runs along some of the trails and I love to hike there and stop frequently to see nature at its best. Great pictures.

Old Kitty said...

Oh it's so lovely!! Thank you for sharing these beautiful pics! It's such a peaceful place! It looks stunning with the trees still bare and the gorgeous stream flowing!! Wonderful! Take care
x

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

I love the Appalachians! I used to live in Eastern Kentucky--a place of wonder! Thanks for the memories!


FANCY THAT!

A hunter of all kinds of water
Had neither a son nor a daughter;
But ocean and sea
Provided such glee—
He fancied adopting an otter!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


Frosty Windowpane

Josh Richard said...

Montreat is certainly a great place for hiking! My favorite spot is on Walker's Knob near Graybeard Mountain.

GrandmaK said...

Oh my! What beautiful pictures or this beautiful stream. How lucky you are! Thank you! Cathy

Donnie said...

What a lovely area to hike. Great photos.

ancient one said...

Love this post!

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Wow....I can so understand why you'd want to drive up there and take in the hiking trails...gorgeous scenery.

[that last photo, I am not one to really point out the 'odd'...well, guess I am tho----'cause I see a 'devil's face' in the river just above the large rock that is on the right bottom corner....do you see it now?]


PS...thanks so much for the birthday wishes and your visiting with me yesterday!!!

catsynth said...

Wow, that looks beautiful and a great place to walk and think.
I should probably make some time myself.

Linda said...

What a peace place to take a hike! Your photos are great!

Mountain Mama said...

Nice pics! I just moved here to NC and am in love with the mountains, and this lovely weather we're having!
Happy Hiking and Happy Blogging! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis