Monday, January 24, 2011

A Flash Mob at the Asheville Mall

A young couple (the ones with the baby strapped to Dad) who teach dance in Asheville staged a Flash Mob at the local mall on Saturday Jan. 22. The dancers mingled with the crowds and on cue, the music started and they began dancing to "dj got us falling in love" by usher while the crowd watched. Once the song was over they all just disappeared into the crowd again. Their video has been getting lots of hits on Youtube.




This video got me to thinking about how I put on weight every winter from eating too much over the holidays and then not getting outside to hike cuz it is too cold and snowy. A fellow blogger, Sarah from A Brit Gal in the USA is setting up a group of bloggers who want to lose weight, work together to achieve our goal and support each other. If you are interested (I am) contact her (see bottom of post) or tell me in your comments - this is what Sarah says:

I have had an idea and I'm hoping there maybe a few of you out there who would like to join me.


I need to lose weight, with all the thyroid ups and downs (plus a few too many fattening British foods on my visit), once again I have gained and I need to start the reversal before it gets any worse. I do better with support and motivation from others, but do not have the time or inclination to join a club locally, online is just easier for me.


So I am proposing the following:
Forming an online weight loss support group centered around a new PRIVATE blog, only accessible to the participants.
You would only report the total number of pounds you want to lose, not your actual weight.
You must need to lose a minimum of 15 pounds to join.
We would all 'weigh-in' on the last day of each month and then report our weight loss on the blog.
The 'biggest loser' each month would receive a motivational, edible or helpful reward from every member by mail, anything up to a $5 maximum value.
Each member would be a blog 'author' and will be able to publish their own posts to help, inform, motivate or raise questions with the other members.
Each member must put up a minimum of one blog post every two weeks. This can be anything from a progress report, a question, a recipe, exercise ideas, food/exercise log, a challenge etc.
If they choose to, a member will be connected with another member/s as their own personal 'buddies' for additional support.
Everyone is responsible for their own food plan, there will be no correct diet to follow.
Upon reaching goal the member will post a before and after picture.
Once goal weight has been maintained for 8 weeks, the group will come up with a suitable reward or celebration.
This is just a basic outline based on my own ideas. But if we get this off the ground then it can be developed further with more ideas from the members.


It doesn't matter how much you have to lose as long as it's over 15 pounds. If you have alot and you want to split the amount so you have realistic targets, that's also fine.


Male or female, any age, any country, any preferred way of dieting, you can even be a member of weight watchers or similar. All I ask is that you are commited to helping and rewarding others, and also prepared to help keep the blog running by posting regularly.


I would like to officially start the group on Monday, January 31st.


If you are interested please email me at sukie175@hotmail.com putting 'WEIGHT LOSS' in the subject line and I will contact you direct with further information.

This could be fun and by spring/summer we could be looking and feeling so much healthier! I do hope you will join us!

9 comments:

chasity said...

what a great idea....
i need to do this!

Heritage Farm Village said...

i like this idea very much, i joined a blog similar but it has a lot of content and was too overwhelming. just need something simple and a way to report in daily my exercise accomplishments. count me in! jill

Old Kitty said...

Awwww what a lovely flash mob thingy!!! So gentle and lovely!!

I've said this before in a few blogs (I think one was over at Kim's Musings of a small life blog) how I got caught up in a flash mob dance at my very busy and very crowded London train station. I was really frightened! The music just blasted out, the guy next to me started doing a Saturday Night Fever dance move and I ran into the nearest shop! LOL!!!

Anyway!!! Good luck with this very innovative way to lose weight!!! So long as y'all have fun and enjoy!! Take care
x

Odie Langley said...

I am in and will email you. great idea

Odie Langley said...

I just posted a blog about the challenge and linked your blog so they can come and check it out.

Appalachian Lady said...

I'd like to do this (a goal of 15 lbs. over 4 months). I can relate to your friend who gains weight over the holidays and has trouble losing it. I live too far away from gyms and don't get out walking in nature as much as I should. Also, I respond well to peer pressure. Count me in.

Teresa - in the Middle Side of Life said...

I came over by way of Odie's blog.

I love flash mob stuff! I really enjoyed the Handel's Messiah ones at Christmas time.

Catherine said...

Such a fun video!

sigh... losing weight... it's always a challenge isn't it? For me, it's not so much the losing weight, it's the keeping it off! Up down up down up down... :(

Happy Wednesday!
xo Catherine

Teresa said...

LOVED the video! What a fun way to start my week!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis