Monday, December 13, 2010

Arctic Blast and Dancing Santa



The lovely snow of Sunday turned into a raging Arctic blast with temps in the teens and wind chills below zero on Monday. Our average high for this time of year is 50 degrees! My holiday wreath blew off the door and when I went out to retrieve it I could not close the storm door against the wind. Gusts were said to be up to 60 miles an hour!



The leaves on our rhododendron bushes were tightly curled against the cold - they do that when the temps go below 30. The neighbors ponies and goats are snug in their barn and pretty much everyone was staying indoors unless they had to be outside. Not much snow accumulation but visibility was minimal with wind driven snow. Not quite the pretty scene from my last post! Makes me want to move back to Florida!




We had to make a supply run into town but it was slow going on icy roads with high winds. It was supposed to be partly sunny but we only saw a blurry dim sun through the clouds all day here. Welcome to my world! To see other parts of the world today visit My World Tuesday. For more wet shots - Watery Wednesday. For more outdoor shots - Outdoor Wednesday.




On a lighter note the video clip below was shown on You Tube of a local Asheville mail carrier who has been side lining as a break dancing Santa showing up at various spots in town and spontaneously breaking into a dance routine much to the surprise of the crowds!

22 comments:

Kea said...

Brrrrrr! It looks so icy. Our windchill is -19C right now, but I don't know what that is in degrees F. COLD! LOL.

At least you didn't get much snow, a small mercy.

The dancing Santa was great! Loved it when the other young guys joined in! :-)

SouthernSass said...

Stay warm! The wind has been really bad.

Odie Langley said...

That Santa was awesome and the onlookers seemed to be having such a great time watching him. You know as much as I love the mountains I don't know if I could deal with a long winter there. I know you have to be prepared and adjust but I have never had to spend very long with snow so it would be a learning experience for me.

Arija said...

The dancing Santa was tops, made so many people smile.

Sylvia K said...

Oh, it does look sooooo cold! It's gray and grumpy looking here, but really not that cold. Just damp and that does get to you after a while! Love your photos -- they provide me with all the snow I need!!! Enjoy your week! Stay warm!

Sylvia

judi said...

Looks good to me, I dislike temps over 65.
I don't mind the cold if I have earmuffs. May the magic of winter bring you peace and wisdom. Happy Winter Solstice.

ladyfi said...

That's some storm. Take it easy on the roads...

Luna Miranda said...

wow, it looks soooo cold! drive safely!

Old Kitty said...

I'll play the clip when i get home!! Looks so jolly!!

Oh my look at that arctic blast!! Please take care on the roads - they must be treacherous!!! Take care
x

Gary said...

Good photos. We know how it is with that winter gray light backed by a sort of sickly yellow sun peeking through. We are having the same storm. Boom & Gary of The Vermilon River. N. Ont., Canada.

Debby said...

As someone whose never lived in the snow, it looks really inviting! Nice shots.

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, BRRRRRRR!!! I'll take our mild 60-70 daytime temps in winter any ol' day!!!


My Wednesday Link Do take time to stop by if you can. I also have a Christmas Day Gift Giveaway for you if you'd like to click on the very top button [Santa button] on my blog that'll direct you to another page, to view my gift,...sign up for your chance to win!!

Mary said...

It looks very cold but your photos are lovely. Stay warm and have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Donnie said...

Both my son and husband were letter carriers so I made sure to send them your video. Thanks. We live in Asheville and are snowbirds to Florida. Loved your post today.

Jo said...

Thanks for the smiles....Santa sure can
get-down.Your snowy photo's are lovely/magical.

Jo
LazyonLoblolly

Appalachian Lady said...

While it was windy and bitter cold here too, we were spared the snow and ice. Hope you keep warm this winter! Love the Santa dance.

msdewberry said...

Oh my gosh, all those pictures look too cold! Nice frozen water shots!

2sweetnsaxy said...

That looks really cold. I've never lived in the snow. On your lighter note, I enjoyed that dancing Santa. Thanks for sharing. :-)

Louvregirl said...

Sounds like you got what we have! Take care and stay snug!!!

Denise said...

I hope you stay snug and warm inside your home. Your photos look pretty but know what you mean about being in Florida right now. From what I hear they have had it pretty chilly down there lately, but I haven't checked today.

Marg said...

We heard about all the snow and wind up there in Ashville. We were lucky and didn't get any ice here in Anderson. That Santa is great. Take care and hope it is warm up there like it is here.

Lily Riani said...

the santa is..... good. hahahahha.... enjoy your xmas.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis