Thursday, December 30, 2010

2010 - A Photo Review

It has been a year to remember for weather, experiences, losses and change.
I am taking one  photo from each month to highlight the year - in celebration and a chance to reminisce.



 In January we had a severe ice storm and lost power for 4 days.  It was a winter never to forget. We had moved here to get away from the heavy snows of the High Country - it seemed they followed us!




Another ice storm in February plus more snow than the area had ever seen in years - 38" to be exact.  Normally we get 12" for the whole season!



Unlike in my native Massachusetts when the snows last forever or so it seems, here  March brought flowers and blooms galore. Our daffodils were a welcome sight.



By April the dogwoods were in bloom and winter was forgotten.


In May our neighbor's goats were having kids int the pasture across from us.  I witnessed two births this past spring. How cool is that?


The summer brought warmer weather - much warmer with days in the 90's.  Hiking was put off until it cooled a bit but we did manage to go to Conamarra to hike the their trails to the ridge line in June.




In July we hit the streets of Asheville for the huge Belle Chere festival with art, music food and lots of fun. We hooked up with old  friends from the High Country and had a great visit.


August was still quite warm and we headed to a cool spot in Brevard to hike to Moores Cove Falls.


Our organic garden gave us plenty of tomatoes, cucumbers, squash, onions and lettuce this year and we have plans for a bigger garden in 2011.


Fall in the mountains is breath taking and this view from the Parkway showing Mount Mitchell is exquisite. Hard to take a bad photo of the colors.


The unusually warm temperatures carried into November as well but then it was welcome.  I visited the River Arts District during their annual open house and had a wonderful time exploring all the galleries.


 We chose and cut our own Christmas tree this year, driving out to Leicester on a cool crisp day.  Rosa is enjoying the fragrance and secretly wishing she could play with the ornaments.

Wishing you a happy, healthy and prosperous new year. 
I will leave you with the words of Ellen Goodman:

We spend January 1 walking through our lives, room by room, drawing up a list of work to be done, cracks to be patched. Maybe this year, to balance the list, we ought to walk through the rooms of our lives, not looking for flaws, but for potential.  

Camera Critters

17 comments:

Kea said...

I love your photographic retrospective. What a great idea! You live in such a beautiful area, with so much to see and do, it seems.

All the best in 2011 - I hope it brings far more laughter than tears, joy than sorrow!

Odie Langley said...

That was a wonderful journey through the year and the pictures were beautiful. I have really enjoyed following your blog simply because you are where I love and your pictures and stories feed my desire to head west. I will in the spring. Happy New Year.
Odie

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow!! What a lovely personal pictorial year to share!! Thank you!! This is really lovely!!! What a year it's been!!! I love your words at the end. I think I've visited enough blogs to realise that many seek the negative and forget the positive!! I think you must have and truly appreciate both to be able to journey through life and emerge a stronger more confident person.

Enjoy our New Year's Day looking for the potentials and the positives! Take care
x

Donnie said...

I loved all your photos. I miss the mountains but we go back in the spring when it is so beautiful too. Have a Happy New Year.

Louvregirl said...

Thank you for this post! I hadn't seen yours until this morning and I posted a review (in photos) for this area and they are very similar. I am glad to say that we have had NO repeat (thus far) of the nasty ice storm on Christmas day 2009. Just beautiful white snow this Christmas day! Thank you again, for the beautiful photos! We live in a lovely area~no?
lg

Debbie Smith said...

What a fun way to remember 2010!
Thank you for the summary!
Have an even more spectacular 2011!
Happy New Year!!

Inger-M said...

So many beautiful pictures, it looks like you had a good year!
Hope the next one is just as good!
Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog!
Happy new year :-)

Barb said...

What a great quote for the New Year. I liked your month by month photos, too - beautiful in your area (even the ice and snow!). Happy New Year!

Martha Z said...

What a wonderful post with which to end the year. It is also a reminder of one of the many reasons I love digital cameras, they tell me when I took the picture. I guess some will even tell you where.

Noe Noe Girl...A Queen of all Trades. said...

Wonderful pictures!
Happy New Year!
<><

Tricia said...

A wonderful recap of the past year! Great shots!!! =)

Sarah Halstead said...

These are gorgeous! We live on the east coast of NC, but I would love to live in the mountains. Great photos. Thanks for stopping by. I am now following your blog.

Gary said...

Interesting series of photos; I enjoyed them. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

EG Wow said...

It's interesting to look at the year all in one post! All the best in 2011!

Jeanne Selep said...

Beautiful photos.

http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2011/01/library-of-congress.html

ME said...

You don't know who I am, but I have enjoyed your pictures and posts for some time. Thanks for sharing.

tay said...

Oh how so blessed you are to live in such beauty and serenity......... I hope it never stops taking your breath away.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis