Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Christmas at the Grove Park Inn, Asheville


Thanksgiving weekend heralds the holiday celebration at the Grove Park Inn. The Gingerbread House Competition is over and the place is bustling with holiday activity. On the Friday after Thanksgiving they light the Christmas Tree in the Great Hall with festive celebrations. Crowds gather around, listening to the music or relax watching the roaring fire in the massive fireplace. At about 8 o'clock the tree is lit with lots of fun and fanfare much to the delight of the kids in attendance.



The tree this year is covered in lovely re, gold and white balls, butterflies and sprigs of glittery branches.  The hotel design staff works all night on Thursday to get it ready for the tree lighting ceremony on Friday.






Like Christmas elves, they have been busy decorating the rest of the hotel.  The second fireplace in the Great Hall has been set up for photo opportunities either by the house photographer or for anyone else who wants a great holiday shot of the family.



Each wing off the main building is lined with Christmas trees decorated beautifully.  They each have a specific theme  - peacocks, gingerbread, sports etc.  Many of the ornaments are sold in the Christmas Shop on the Vanderbilt Wing.










In the Sammons Wing another huge tree graces the hall there covered in white birds with flowing feathers, pine cones, hydrangeas and silver ornaments of all sizes.This one is my favorite. I also like this table piece with drift wood penguins playing with a red bow.






There are plenty more trees to feature on other posts.  On the tree note, I will be cutting down my tree this week and will post about that. Christmas tree farms are one of the main businesses in our area and getting a real tree is a must.

I have been working extra shifts this week for someone who was out and did 8 days straight over Thanksgiving so I hope to catch up on return visits this week. High winds knocked our phone lines out plus the Internet over the weekend too.  I am hoping for a quieter week this week! Have a good one!


23 comments:

Barb said...

What a great post to get one in a festive spirit! Those decorated trees are amazing.

Rebecca said...

I love seeing places like this since I don't get to go during the holiday season-thanks for sharing!

Kea said...

Oh, this is so enchanting! Such beautiful trees, wonderfully decorated. Thank you for sharing these! And I see you also have "Solstice Blessings" under the "Happy Holidays" on your side bar....So nice to see that! I'm a Solstice person myself, though not Wiccan.

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow. Oh how beautiful!! Look at these trees! My goodness - they are truly lovely!!! I love them all - they're just sublime! Wow!!!!
Thank you for sharing these stunning pics of equally stunning christmas trees!!

And you new blog design is just amazing!! Yay!

Take care
x

eileeninmd said...

Gorgeous Christmas trees, the decorations are beautiful. What a wonderful place to enjoy the holidays.

EmptyNester said...

This is where BestSonInLawEVER proposed to our DD1 two weeks before Christmas in 2008! They married in 2009 and just celebrated 2 lovely years together November 8.

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit, thanks for sharing:@)

craftyles said...

THe trees are so pretty and the whole place looks great!

LV said...

What a pleasure it would have been to go there with you. Such a lovely place.

Lily Hydrangea said...

all dressed up for the holidays, beautiful decorations!

Light and Voices said...

Enjoyed seeing these Christmas trees and all the decorations. Magical.
Joyce M

Marites said...

i love the christmas trees!! the fireplace scene is nice too:) i've been planning to put up green christmas decorations on my tree this year but wondering how would it look. I saw your photo of the green-decorated Christmas tree and am quite delighted! have a good week!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

How gorgeous! Thanks for sharing! Lucky you to get to see all that splendor.

bj said...

Thanks for sharing this lovely place. I love all their pretty decorations.

Ann said...

All of the decorations are gorgeous. I love the different looks for the trees. The fireplace sleigh looks fantastic for family pictures.
ann

NanE said...

Gorgeous! I love the Grove Park in and have been several times but never at Christmas! Hmmm, maybe I need to plan this for next year! Thanks for sharing, Nan

~~Carol~~ said...

The trees are really beautiful, but I'm in love with that massive stone fireplace! It's my dream to have one like it, although maybe not so large, when we eventually retire to Wisconsin. I'm sure we'll need it, living up in the Northwoods!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Everything is so lovely, thank you so much for taking us along with you! I love that fireplace, those stones are massive. wow! So much fun to see all the trees and ornaments.

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Donnie said...

I love the photos of the Inn. We've had brunch there and it is so luxurious. Happy Outdoor Wednesday.

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

Everything is just so beautiful!! Can't wait to see more...
Hugs,
Debbie @ A Debbie-Dabble Christmas

SRQ said...

So festive and charming. This would put anyone in the Christmas spirit. I visited Blowing Rock in Oct. --- maybe about an hour or so away from Asheville -- beautiful country up there!

Sherrie said...

I love the wooden ornaments. How adorable. I would love to visit.

Linda said...

Boy those trees are like works of art! They sure put me in the mood to start my decorating!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis