Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chocolate Gems of Black Mountain


I love chocolate.  I mean I would chose chocolate over just about anything. really.  I seek out the best places for chocolate and thankfully have one place a few minutes drive - Chocolate Gems.  They make all their own chocolate candy by hand in small batches with Belgian white, milk and dark chocolate - everything from truffles, nut clusters to chocolate sculptures.  They recently added gelato to their warm weather offerings.



The apple green storefront entices you in with descriptions of all their offerings. Let me tell you a bit about the owners -

Andrew and Sue met in France in 1996 while they were both signed on as crew for the delivery of a catamaran from France to Texas. The following year they set sail on their own boat from Waukegan, IL and sailed out of the Great Lakes, down the St Lawrence River and on to England, which is Sue's home country.

After five years of sailing they bought a house in Asheville. Sue started making chocolates at home and decided she wanted to do more. In 2005 they opened the shop in Black Mountain, NC. You will find them both in the shop early in the mornings, making chocolates.



My favorites are the truffles - at $1.95 each you only get few in a lovely wrapped gift box and and they are sinfully delicious. Since coffee is my other vice I love the Espresso Truffle -A dark chocolate and espresso coffee truffle, dipped in dark chocolate, sprinkled with cocoa powder. Second favorite is Lavender Truffle - A smooth creamy truffle made with a blend of chocolates and real lavender,
covered in milk chocolate topped with a crystalized lavender flower.  Mmm mmm.

They have added something new since I stopped by last - chocolate body products - now I know what to get other chocoholics for gifts!




Hope you have a enjoyed a peek into my town's guilty pleasures.  What is your favorite place to indulge?

We have a winner for my 150 Follower Give-away of a mystery novel by local writer Sallie Bissell and other locally handmade products from the Appalachian Mountains of North Carolina.  Using Random.org with the entries numbered, the winning number belonged to Carol of Old Glory Cottage. Congrats to Carol and thank you all for entering and for your wonderful support.


23 comments:

A Brit in Tennessee said...

Ooh heavenly !
What a wonderful selection to choose from, I would want to try them all.
I once won a writing contest in school, sponsored by the Cadbury Company. Free chocolate for a year, and enough of it, to feed the entire class.
I was voted most popular that year ;)

Odie Langley said...

Congratulations Carol and Cheri I just want to say that I was in bliss just looking at the pictures of those "beautiful" little works of art. I will be sharing this blog with my friends that sometimes head in that direction so they can possibly end up there some day. I'm feeling jealous again girl. Have a glorious day.
Odie

Jama said...

Who could resist chocolates! I love Cadbury chocolates, especially without any nuts.

CollectIn Texas Gal said...

What a Sinful Pleasure to have a Chocolate Factory right in your own town...and with the most exquiste candy ever. Chocolate Lip Balm...I gotta have some of that!

Kea said...

Oh, I would think I had died and gone to chocolate heaven.

The BEST chocolate I ever have had was in a tiny shop off Ste. Catherine's in Montreal....Absolutely incredible, I don't even have words. A friend and I tried two hand-made chocolate shops that day, but that tiny hole-in-the-wall chocolate shop was amazing.

daylily (Queenmothermamaw) said...

Oh yel and the bakery too.
QMM

Donnie said...

Congrats to Carol on winning your lovely giveaway. Chocolate Gems sounds like a neat and sweet road trip when we get home to NC. We have Van's Chocolates in H'ville that make the most delicious chocolate mint melt away's that my DIL loves.

Kim, USA said...

Oh my goodness who doesn't have a temptation for chocolates. Love it too!
My temptation

Old Kitty said...

Chocolate pasta?!?!?! Oh wow!! What a wonderful shop!! It's absolutely gorgeous and not cos they sell all things chocolate (yum!!!) but they make these themselves organically!! Wow!!! this is just brilliant!!! My idea of perfect shopping heaven!

Congratulations to Carol!! Take care
x

~~Carol~~ said...

I love chocolate too! I actually gave it up for several years, when I heard that it can cause migraines, which I suffered from. Knock on wood, I seem to have outgrown the migraines, and I've been slowly working my way through every kind of chocolate there is out there!
Thank you Random.org for coming up with my number! I can't wait to get those books and the jam. Thanks Cheri!

Charlene said...

Well, there goes another place I cannot go to! What a wonderful place it seems. I would love some expresso truffles, myself.

My mom loved chocolate cream centers in milk chocolate from Dundee Candy Shop. I used to get her a pound for every birthday. I don't go there now. This should have been improving my figure.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

Now that is my heaven. Wow, I would book a trip out there just for that. I adore chocolate of all kinds and really have to limit eating it because when I start I cannot stop.

Doreen said...

decadent! that chocolate body cream has me thinkin...... :-)

Debbie Smith said...

Oh how great for you to have a shop like this. Reminds me of all the chocolate shops in Belgium.

J Bar said...

Those chocolates look really yummy.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

greensborodailyphoto.com said...

I love the writing and the love story as much as the photo. Brings Black Mountain alive for us. Makes me want to run up and buy some chocolate this weekend. Every time I eat a truffle ($2 is the going rate in Greensboro too), I can't take a bite without imagining that I am also eating $2!!!!!. Let me see...... a 5 truffle binge.... would be more than a minimum wage hour!!!!!!

In the eye of the beholder by Gayla said...

This is a great post! I want to try some of their chocolate it looks so good. They sould like a fun couple to meet.

Riet said...

Oh my goodness, that looks fantastic. Chocolate, yes who doesn't love it. Just today I saw on Tv somebody having a chocolate bodymassage, wow couln't believe my eyes.
Have a good wekend

spiritsoflena said...

You had me at chocolate. Those truffles sound amazing! Love your shot of the chocolate selection.

Kerri said...

Yum!

Appalachian Lady said...

I love truffles too--especially if they are locally made. Luckily, we have a chocolate factory (Chocolate Spike) in Blacksburg, Virginia. I also stop by any chocolate shop when I travel.

Pauline said...

I wonder - do ALL women love chocolate? It's the one thing I can't resist. I'm grateful the nearest (really good) chocolate makers are a 2 hour drive away! Love your shoot out!

Anonymous said...

well i have visited chocolate gems in the past and the chocolates are amazing,the owners are really nice and polite aswell,if u get the chance to visit then do so

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis