Sunday, November 7, 2010

Black Mountain Train Depot

Posted by Picasa

With our last cold snap I am surprised that there is still a bit of color here and there - a pot of mums, the yellow leafed trees, newly fallen leaves on the ground.  Not much, but I took a walk to the train depot in Black Mountain for some colorful pictures.


This once-busy passenger station was constructed using brick and stucco, in 1907. Trains still roar by and hold up traffic in this tiny town but the depot has not been in use as a passenger station since 1976.
The Depot is now a nonprofit gift shop featuring the work of artists from the local area. I did stop in and got a few small hand made gifts for the holidays. They have everything from pottery to quilts, paintings, jewelry and more.  Like most galleries, no photos are allowed due to artists copyrights.






At the far end of the Depot is a small container garden created by the Old Depot Association and named after one of its members - Gaye Baker. Dan Howachyn, of Black Mountain Iron Works, created an arch for the area’s entrance. It is a sunny spot to sit and watch the trains and people go by.




To raise money for the refurbishing of the old depot, they sold engraved bricks to be used in the patio of the garden. In front of the water fountains sits a plaque explaining that the town  limits extend in one mile in all directions from this point.


I did find an old vintage postcard depicting the Depot in its heyday. The buildings are all still there but mostly rented out as gift shops now.  Oh what it must have been like as a busy station so many years ago.

Thanks for joining me.  I am playing Mosaic Monday, Mellow Yellow Monday and My World Tuesday with this post.  Please visit my hosts of these great memes. And there is still time to get in on my 150 follower Give-away - just let me know you want in in your post comment. To see what I am giving go to my Give-away page.

24 comments:

Donnie said...

That looks like a great place to take a day trip to. We love to go to Dillsboro and walk around their downtown. The train used to go through there but not anymore.

Old Kitty said...

Oh what a lovely station!!! Why is it not in use now? Such a shame!! It's very very pretty and the old pic of it in its heyday is just wonderful!!

At least it's integrity is preserved - the front of the shops are just gorgeous and well looked after and I love the pots of mums!! Lovely!!! And great that they sell arts and crafts. I could just see me sitting in one of the benches watching the trains go by!

Thanks for sharing these fabulous pics!!! Take care
x

Kim, USA said...

I love old towns and old stations. Your shots are great. Thanks for sharing!
At the store

Kim, USA said...

Oh by the way, love to join your give away. ^_^

chubskulit said...

Lovely place, a beautiful subject to take photos!

Mellow Yellow

Odie Langley said...

Another beautiful tour and I enjoyed it so very much. The more I see your posts the more I want to head in that direction. Winter will definately slow us down though.
Odie

GrandmaK said...

Lovely pictures!!! Have a grand day! Cathy

Rosadimaggio63 said...

Molto bello queste foto in colore giallo per oggi :)
Buona giornata.
Myriam

Thoughtfully blended hearts said...

Beautiful fall eye candy...love the beautiful colors in your mosaic!!

Snap said...

I love artsy places. Looks like a wonderful visit. I'm into trains and history,too! Fun, entertaining post.

Susan said...

OH my goodness, what a great place to visit. I just love the photos you took, and the fall colors you still have are gorgeous. Thank you so much for sharing this little bit of your life and these beautiful photos today.

Happy Fall,
Susan @ cluckleBees

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

Interesting place. you sure find lots of pretty subject in there

Have some snackerz for MYM

Sally in WA said...

How nice to see the old station restored and being used. The yellow is a perfect color for it.

Mary said...

What a wonderful old building and how great that it has been repurposed to be an arts center! Thanks for sharing your beautiful yellows at MM. :)

Heritage Farm Village said...

ooh, that depot looks very interesting! would have loved to browse around. i love your yellow leaves. tried to access that mellow yellow link and they said it was closed. so nice to have found you through the mosaic monday! it is my first time and it is so much fun seeing everyone's mosaic! have a great week! jill

Sylvia K said...

I do love to see old stations restored, too! What a delightful post and a wonderful look at your world! Hope your week is off to a great start!

Sylvia

Carver said...

Beautiful shots from Black Mountain. I'll have to check out the Depot next time I'm there. Interesting post.

Louvregirl said...

Love the yellows in the top photo! I live in the Appalachians of North Carolina. Check out my (largely) photo blog; also...would you include me in your drawing (she asks smiling!!?)
louvregirl in the High Country

NCmountainwoman said...

We've passed that depot a jillion times, but have never stopped. Next time we will.

BraCom (Bram) said...

Wonderful place and photos, nice colors

Green Mountain Realty said...

Black Mountain is my favorite town here in the mountains of Western North Carolina. Its a very special and beautiful place.

Genie said...

Cheri...I am a bit behind in my reading and commenting. Am so glad I didn’t miss them. I used to take the children on the train from Black Mt. down to Old Fort and my husband would meet us there. Then we would drive back up the mountain and have a picnic. Hope all is well with you. Weezie and I are going fine. Still have not gotten back to A’ville, but hope to before long. XOXOXO Genie

gemini said...

Beautiful splash of all colors I love. Have a happy day.

Johnny Nutcase said...

ahh, fun! your pictures are making me miss this area badly! especially during fall. Love the photos!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis