Monday, October 4, 2010

Waynesville in the Smoky Mountains


A few weeks back my husband and I took a drive over to Waynesville just west of us. This village with a population of about 10,000 people is surrounded by the Great Smoky Mountains and Blue Ridge Mountains with peaks over 6000 feet. Its downtown has a surprising number of fine galleries and specialty shops.

The Town of Waynesville was founded in 1810 by Colonel Robert Love, an American Revolutionary War soldier. He donated land for the courthouse, jail, and public square, and named the town after his former commander in the war, General "Mad" Anthony Wayne.

Waynesville is Haywood County's oldest town with over a century of experience as a quaint mountain retreat. Even before the railroad made it easy to get here, visitors flocked to Waynesville for the cool, clean air, clean water, outstanding scenery and an opportunity to escape sweltering cities.


As you can see there is plenty of parking and wide red brick sidewalks to use. Most of the building facades are brick with colorful trim.




 A few roses still bloomed in our late summer weather.  We loved this metal sculpture display of country musicians set between two buildings. Don standing there shows how large the piece is.





The shops offered something for all - local crafts, hiking gear and whimsical t-shits like this one. Our resort towns have a very tongue in cheek attitude about the tourists - they provide our bread and butter but also can be quite a nuisance with their erratic driving, constant questions etc. The long alley below was quite refreshing on a hot day - the air just whipped up in between the buildings and cooled you off.


Thanks for joining me today. I am playing  Rednesday, Ruby Tuesday and Outdoor Wednesday so do stop by our hosts and see what great posts are listed.

Check out my new blog chock full of vintage and handmade items for sale to rais emoney to care for my rescued cats. - Wildcat Woods Vintage Treasures.

26 comments:

EG Wow said...

It's such an inviting looking town. Thanks for taking us there.

Liza said...

Beautiful photos. Love the wooden sculptures.

Cafe au lait said...

Wonderful photos. Thanks for sharing.

Happy Ruby!

Debbie Smith said...

Waynesville looks like the perfect place to spend the day! Thanks for sharing and taking us along!
Have a fabulous day!

Old Kitty said...

WOW!! What a name: Waynesville and oh so pretty!!! I'd be nuisance tourist - although I don't drive I get lost very easily so will be asking tons of questions! LOL!!

Awwww but it's such a quirky little place - I love it - especially those amazing musician sculptures! The rose is just gorgeous, thank you! Take care
x

Genie said...

Cheri...Such fun to see Waynesboro again after almost 40 years. They have really spruced up the little town. There used to be a Land Rover dealership there, and that is where Weezie and I went to buy our cars. We needed tough 4 wheel drive to get up and down in the Manor Grounds, and we loved going out in the national park and fording the creeks to go fishing. I LOVE YOUR POSTS. Talked to her yesterday and she was going in today for her “D Day”....I coined that one to stand for the day she goes in to get the RA drip. It seems to do not good, but it is out prayer it is slowing down the progression of the disease. Ours calls each day are the BEST! Will be indebted to my principal for a long time for allowing me to call her.

XOXOXOXO Genie

Kim, USA said...

Love to visit like this kind of town. Small but pretty!
Ruby Red Tuesday

chubskulit said...

I have the same kind of rose! Great pics.

My Ruby Tuesday

Greyscale Territory said...

Enjoyed this walk with you on your travels! Love the metal sculpture! A fascinating piece!

Auntie E said...

Love the Bronze statues.Looks like a great town to visit.
My Ruby Tuesday link for you

Raven said...

What a nice series. Looks like a nice town. I LOVE that metal sculpture. LOVE it. Thanks for the tour.

NCmountainwoman said...

We love Waynesville as well. Such a charming town with wonderful artists, good food, and very nice people. Nice photographs.

eileeninmd said...

What a pretty town, I love the metal sculptures. Wonderful series of photos.

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

I could spend hours in one gallery, I'm sure!!

My Wednesday photo link

Jeanne said...

Waynesville is about 45 minutes from where I live in Franklin. We love the town and visit there to shop sometimes. Your photos and description of the town is a good idea of the life there. Thanks for a very nice Outdoor view of a great small town.
Hugs, Jeanne

Nora Johnson said...

Love all the Red in this attractive town!
Great post!

Happy Rednesday!

Lola & Nora:)
btw Your quick Rednesday link!

LV said...

My sister and I go most every weekend to some small town. I find them more interesting and they share so many different things. Not as congested as in town.

Kathleen said...

What a great tour. I have heard good things about the Carolinas. It is one of the few places I haven't spent any time in the 48 states...

jabblog said...

It sounds a very pleasant place to visit. The metal sculptures are terrific :-)

Donnie said...

I Love Waynesville. It's a lot like our little town. Enjoyed your photo's.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

What a great little spot to explore. I really love that musician sculpture. Great pics.

Marbel said...

Beautiful photos of a great town. I love Waynesville!

Bea Christianson said...

Loved the sculptures! Very interesting Rednesday!

I Wonder Wye said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! We have some things in common besides AR -- I lived in VA awhile and toured lots of the little A towns, AND i work with FuRR (Feline Rescue and Rehab) -- people 'dump' animals all the time on our mt., and I have found homes for 26 so far -- not to mention the ones that have found their way into our home! I am a supporter of AllyCat Allies and Best Friends too. We run a wild mustang sanctuary, so don't have much $ but I will check out your store...

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Beautiful shots. Love the sculptured musicians

Linda said...

What a nice little town you have there!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis