Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lake Julian Park, Asheville



 The weather has been downright balmy for October with temps in the low 80's - great for foliage seekers.  I took a side trip while doing errands to visit Lake Julian Park on the south side of town.  This place is perfect for the water enthusiast with canoeing, sailing and fishing available on the lake. The park is open year round and offers picnic areas and boat rentals. One man was out sailing a catamaran.




 Lake Julian is a decent sized lake of about 300 acres or so and was created to cool the Progress Energy  (then CP&L ) coal power plant that is located on one shore of the lake. See photo below. The lake was created in 1963, back when each city had it's own power plant. Progress Energy leases land  on the lake to the Buncombe County Parks & Recreation for entertainment  purposes.



Many local residents are amazed to find some of this area's best fishing in their own backyard. Lake Julian has an abundance of bass, catfish, brim and crappie, as well as imported fish called "Tilapia". Because Lake Julian is a "thermal" lake (the lake is used as a cooling agent for Progress Energy), some of the best fishing occurs from October through March.



The trees in the picnic areas had quite a bit of fall color.

 Most of the people in the park  were enjoying the day and scenery.  Some were feeding the assortment of ducks along the shore.



In spite ot the power plant, the park offered a lot to enjoy - some day these plants will be gone and we will be using cleaner, more efficient energy from the sun!

I am joining Watery Wednesday and Outdoor Wednesday this week so do stop by our hosts.

19 comments:

Genie said...

OK, Cheri....Now I am REALLY worried about my brain freezes. I do NOT remember Lake Julian. I am drawing a complete and total blank!!! When I call Weezie tomorrow I am gong to ask her first thing The pictures are beautiful...love the ducks. Hope all is well in Black Mt. My principal is coming down next weekend. His son is a contractor in Swannanoa.
Hugs,Genie

Poetic Shutterbug said...

Fantastic reflections and scenery. Well done.

Catherine said...

So many beautiful photos here today ~ the colors are wonderful!

xo Catherine

chubskulit said...

Gorgeous!

Watery Wednesday

Odie Langley said...

Lovely pictures Cheri. I never tire of looking at scenes of nature and water. Thanks.
Odie

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

The lake and the Autumn colors are fabulous,........too bad the power plant spoils the scene tho, right?

My watery photos are shrimp boats coming in and a sailboat going out. Do stop by if you get a chance.

Old Kitty said...

It is so peaceful and lovely and thriving despite the looming presence of the power plant!!! I love the pic of the man with the beard just feeding the geese - it's so tranquil - he's lost in his thoughts and the geese are just doing what they do! Lovely!!!

Thanks for sharing these gorgeous pics! I hope too that one day we'll all enjoy cleaner energy! Take care
x

Kim, USA said...

Those shot are so gorgeous. I think this is the best time to do boating along the lake to see Autumn foliage. Happy Wednesday!
Watery Wednesday

Donnie said...

It took me a bit to remember where Lake Julian is but then I remembered TC Roberson High School is on that same road. I didn't realize they had that much back there.

jeannette said...

All great pics, but love the last one! The reflections and the intimate-ness of it.

Mission Baby watercolor, Jeannette

NCmountainwoman said...

Great photographs. We haven't been back to Lake Julian for quite a while. You've inspired me to take a trip out there.

Beyond The Garden said...

Lovely photos from a lovely part of the world.

Jeanne said...

Hello Cheri, Your post is so lovely about Lake Julian. I have never been there. Since we live in Franklin, NC it is a day trip from here. I would love to go there. Your photos are lovely.

Hugs, Jeanne

PS: Our little poodle is also named Cheri' Love your name.

Rossel said...

nice place. i love the last picture. you got a perfect shot of that ripples.
Shades of Blue.

Nora Johnson said...

What fantastic scenery -so beautiful!

XOXO LOLA:)

Arlee Bird said...

Love the fall colors. Looks like a wonderful place to while away an autumn afternoon.

Lee
Tossing It Out

♥ Sonny ♥ said...

This is truly a beautiful place.. My daughter and I love driving up the pisgah parkway on our way to silva nc.. I was the grandchild who ended up with our grandmothers log cabin and someday I'll retire there..
Thanks for all the great photos. it was a joy to to see that area this time of year.

Bibliophile By the Sea said...

What lovely photos; I love fall!

Chrisdavid92 said...

Ahh I rowed in those boats!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis