Friday, September 17, 2010

WNC Mountain Fair, Fletcher


Last weekend hubby and I went tot the WNC Mountain State held in Fletcher. He likes to go for the produce, flowers and crafts while I like the animals. We are both too old for the rides!


We got there in time for a sheep exhibition and judging.  These young  boys were very serious about showing their sheep. I got a kick out of the colorful blankets the sheared sheep wore in between their shows.




The llamas were lovely in various shades of browns, blacks and creams. So soft and fluffy. This young girl was busy hosing down her horse outside the barns - it was a sunny breezy day but not really hot.  I guess this is good weather for the animals. Hope it holds all week.





This youngster was worn out already and sound asleep inside one of the barns. The cows were impressive but the size of the Brahmans was just a sight to see.  Usually raised in warm southern climates for beef, these guys are dairy cows here and raised for their cheese! I love their soft eyes and long floppy ears.






We visited all the barns - chickens, turkeys, goats but the pigs were not to be found but these two - their show day was in the middle of the week and more would be coming for that.


I will post another round of fair photos next week covering the produce, crafts and farm equipment - come on back for that.  We are joining in on Scenic Sunday, Friday My Town Shoot Out, and Camera Critters this week so be sure to visit them.

19 comments:

JC said...

Don't you just love going to the Fair ? I went to a small one a last week. Would like to go to the big one if I have time. It's going on now and I will have to go in the middle of the week all by myself. Sounds fine to me. They have a huge quilt hall. It's boasted as being the 8th biggest fair in the world.

Old Kitty said...

Awwwwww what brilliant animals!! And I love that the kiddies are playing such an active part here!! The sheep with their blankets are just adorable! And I love llamas - they're such fun animals! And piggies - beautiful!! But oh those amazing cows!! Wow!!!

Thanks for such a fun trip to the fair - I look forward to more!

p.s. Awwww you're never too old for fun fair rides!
Take care
x

Buttons for Baga said...

Do you and your hubby ever rest? You all do not miss a single event in that part of the state. I am really impressed. A Fletcher Festival....I do not think there was one when I lived there. I can really relate to the children showing their animals. I have attended a lot of fairs in my lifetime. The alpacas are my favorite both to look at and to spin their fibers into yarn.

Have a great weekend...

Hugs,
Genie

Odie Langley said...

Mostly we love the fair for the fragrence of all the fair foods. I particularly like the polish sausage. Those were great pictures of the animals.

Pauline said...

Ive been distracted from the photos, do they really raise Brahmans as dairy cattle? When I had daily contact with them, they definitely weren't quiet enough for that. I was warned to not be deceived by their docile expression! Loved seeing your photos of them. And the llamas, such lovely animals (when they don't spit at you!)

Marguerite said...

Looks like a great Fair! Love all the pics and it looked like such a beautiful day. Thanks for stopping by and for your nice comment. Your Alive After Five sounds like fun!

Jama said...

Looks like a fun fair! Why do they covered the sheeps with colorful blankets?

psychelyn said...

it's interesting to see all these photos. and the polka dotted ones are so lovely haha i love 'em.

cat said...

Many great animals here! Love the sheep in their blankets :)

jabblog said...

Those sheep coats are wonderful! What fine looking animals you saw at the fair.

chubskulit said...

Love those costumes.

Turtle and Praying Mantis

Sarah said...

Oooo I adore the fair! Wonderful shootout!! I love the llama shot..or are those alpacas...beautiful!

Poetic Shutterbug said...

Those llamas are so cute and it looks like you had a great time, what fun.

Kcalpesh said...

Really looks like a lot of fun out there!!

Pixellicious Photos

EG Wow said...

Thanks! I enjoyed going to the fair with you!

eileeninmd said...

I think the fair animals are the best part of state fairs. Wonderful photos of all the critters.

Dave said...

Great set of photos. It sounds as if it was a great fair. I like how just one of the llamas is bathed in sunshine. I wonder if he does outshine the rest.

Eye of a Camera Blog

Doreen said...

great shots of all the critters. the llama are so cute and the sheep blankets are interesting. what will they think of next? :-)

Carletta said...

This looks like a fun time!
I love the stretchy little outfits of the lambs. I wonder if it's to keep them warm or clean.
The little spotted llama is cute with this spotted skin showing. Who knew it was spotted too! :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis