Monday, September 6, 2010

Montreat Post Office



This building was once part of the Montreat College, built in 1900 and used as a library. Today we know it as the community center and Post Office for the tiny town. I love the wood work around the windows and the detailed wood exterior of the building.



Posted by Picasa


This last photo is what the building looked like initially - notice the absence of trees! This area was heavily logged as was most of the mountains - all the forest now is new growth. Very few old growth trees remain.



We are playing Ruby Tuesday and Rednesday so be sure to stop by our hosts.

I have a new blog/online shop to help raise money for my rescued feral cats so please stop by Wildcat Woods Vintage Treasures often! The link is also in the sidebar.

15 comments:

Old Kitty said...

What a beautiful grand building!! Well looked after and treasured!! Stunning!!!

Glad the trees are recovering nicely!

Thanks for sharing, take care
x

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

Wow....this is a very special treat for us visitors!!!

Ruby Tuesday KACHINA DOLL

reg said...

Fantastic pics of a great building

CACHANILLA73 said...

Wow!! I love a red building and if it has lots of History better!! ;)

Linda Starr said...

Love the windows of that building, the upper sash so wonderful; sad about the clear cutting. I always wonder where all the critters go.

Linda Starr said...

wonder where my comment went

Southern Lady's Vintage said...

Great photos!

Nora Johnson said...

Wonderful shots of a great building!

Great blog too!

Happy Rednesday!

Lola & Nora:)
btw Vacation Over? Great Memories to share?!

arlee bird said...

I do like to see old buildings proudly conserved by their communities.

Lee
Tossing It Out

craftyles said...

I love seeing old pics and new pic's of the same building. That is a wonderful one. Thanks for sharing with us!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Such a charming building! It's so sad no old growth remains but the new trees look lovely and add so much.

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Elaine said...

Your blog title caught my eye....so I had to check it out. My twin sister lives in Newland in Avery county. I have vivited the surrounding areas many times in the past thirty years. When my husband passed away ,my children scattered his ashes along the blue Ridge. It was his favorite place to visit and ride his motorcye ride.
I signed on to follow you.
Love those mountains. Elaine

Cher' Shots said...

What a great old building. I just commented on another site how much I love old buildings and the history they hold.
My Mom just chose this same red for her old house, now I can hardly wait to see it painted. It's beautiful on that old building and I'm sure it will be just beautiful on hers.

TAPS said...

This is a very nice blog. I enjoyed dropping in and looking around. Hope you didn't mind.

Linda said...

What a great building. The windows are really nice! Great post...I learned something today!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis