Monday, September 20, 2010

Another Day at the Fair


The State Fair ran all last week in the next town over from us. I posted about our visit with the farm animals last weekend.  This week I will focus on the rides, produce, crafts and tractors.  I had forgotten how bright the colors are at the fair. If you look in the upper part of the pics you will see the lift rides carrying you over the fairgrounds and back. That would have been the only ride I would have taken but the lines were too long and I was ready to call it a day by then.



It was dizzying at first - just so much to take in.  We stuck to the tents and buildings with the produce.  Since my husband is a gardener, we always check out the giant vegetables and fruits.  This is a good size tomato but the 154 pound watermelon and the 756 pound pumpkin were really impressive!




This colorful hand sewn jacket caught me eye - even the buttons have color and texture to them.  And the chicken cake below is stupendous! What creativity!


What is a fair without hand churned ice cream - apple pie ice cream no less!  Mmmm mmm good.



Finally, we enjoyed viewing the antique tractors with their fiery red paint.  Some dated back to the early part of the 20th century. We had so much fun this year and the weather that day was perfect.  Hope to go again next September!



For more radiant red shots please visit Ruby Tuesday and Rednesday!  And don't forget Outdoor Wednesday.

This week is Pet Finder's Adopt a Less Adoptable Pet Week showcasing homeless senior, disabled and otherwise less than adoptable pets in shelters all across the US.  Stop by my other blog to check out some great dogs and cats.

27 comments:

DrillerAA09 said...

Absolutely LOVE the tractors. Great Ruby Tuesday subjects. We're going to the Tulsa State Fair in a couple of weeks. Should be fun. Happy RT.

chubskulit said...

It is always a delight to go to a fair!

My Ruby Tuesday

Nicole MacDonald said...

Oooo that looks like so much fun! I wish our fairs were more like that :) I'm just hanging out for Martinborough Fair in Feb.. but that's a wee way away ;p

http://damselinadirtydress.blogspot.com

Eds said...

Oh my lots of red here. That's by far the biggest tomato i've seen!lol! :)

ABC said...

Great entries! Would love to see your future shots! Thanks for sharing :)

Pauline said...

That reminds me it's been an age since I went to a fair. Love that crafty jacket!

Marites said...

such lively colors of the fair..looks like it would be nice to browse around. The pumpkin size is really impressive.

Odie Langley said...

Great pictures Cheri and I was facinated by the chicken cake. The weather seemed perfect as well. Hope you having a great week.
Odie

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

I thought maybe I overdid my fair shots last week. Then, seeing yours, I realized that seeing a week's worth of photos really is rewarding. Loved the tomato. My dad used to photograph his tomatoes, the ones worthy of blue ribbons--- in his mind!

Kea said...

I really enjoyed the photos! This makes me want to go the Royal Agricultural Winter Fair in Toronto in November. I haven't been in years, but it's a major international event, lots of fun!

Auntie E said...

I love attending State fairs. They are fun place with fond memories.
My Ruby Tuesday Link for you

GardenofDaisies said...

Lots of fun! The tomato and pumpkin contests are always interesting to me. I just love their shape! And I have to tell you that I love that river picture on your title photo.

Manang Kim said...

Wow you just had your fair. I see great shots and I so love that churned ice cream. Here in MI we don't have state fair so I missed those huge pumpkin and some veggies. Happy Tuesday!
The cars

Sarah said...

This fair looks like a grand time. Apple Pie Ice Cream ~ yummy! ~ Sarah

Cindy Adkins said...

Oh wow, I love the fair and love the tractor!!! Amazing pics!!! Happy Rednesday!
Hugs
xox

daylily777 said...

It's that time of year again ! Great Pics !
Blessings,
~Myrna

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

How fun! Our county fair starts in a couple of weeks and I'm entering a table setting and a decorated Christmas tree. Fairs are such a good time.

Vintagesouthernlife said...

Great pictures... such a beautiful jacket. The fair will arrive here in SC soon. Happy Outdoor Wednesday, Annette

Marbel said...

Great photos! I love fairs.

Debra Ganas said...

Oooohhh, love the fair pictures. Those get me in the mood for our Georgia National Fair in Perry Ga.,coming up next month.
Love that jacket, And what a amazing chicken cake.
Debra

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Cheri...

Ooops...I just posted a comment and don't knew where it went to...shoot!

Thanks for sharing your trip to the fair with us! It looks like ya'll had a great time! Ohhh...and homemade apple ice cream? I would have definitely had to sample some of that! Hehe!

Warmest autumn wishes,
Chari @Happy To Design

~~Carol~~ said...

I miss going to our state fair, but it's about 5 hours away, so we don't go anymore. There's nothing like looking at the produce, the animals and tasting all the great food!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

black eyed susans kitchen said...

Such fun pictures from the fair! I love the giant watermelon and pumpkins.

Patti said...

I love the fair - I take my kindergarten class to the fair each year - and we just have a great time going to the barns and petting corrals. Being city kids, they love the animals and tractors. I never tire of a shiny red tractor!
Hugs, Patti

Ms. Bake-it said...

Looks like you had a great day! I love going to the fair and cannot wait for ours next year! The chicken cake is great! Love the tractors! My dad is restoring an old John Deere. The jacket is so vibrant!

~ Tracy

EG Wow said...

These are wonderful shots of the fair. Isn't it a wonderful time of year?

Mimi said...

I love county fairs...look at the size of that melon and squash!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis