Monday, August 16, 2010

Peaches and Beer


I thought I would finish my trip to Virginia with this post combining our visit to a peach orchard and then dinner on the way home. We were in a tiny town called Crozet (croa-zey)in the Shenandoah Valley just east of I-81 and the Blue Ridge Mountains.



This very rural area is rapidly getting developed with golf courses, neighborhoods and the like but we did find Chiles Peach Orchard and Farm Market, a lovely old peach orchard complete with a ice cream/produce/ peach stand. We got a bag and headed out to the trees.



The orchard was quite sizable and I loved how the rows of trees met in the middle making a covered archway to walk under. The fruit was sweet and deliciuos and we picked a bagful to take home with us.





While I was at my 2 hour appointment, my husband hit the nearby golf course for nine holes and then downed a quick refreshing beer at the local brewery. The town, though small looked like it had a lot of character and boasted some fine eateries as well.

We asked at the doctor's office where to eat dinner on the way back home and were told to go to Devil's Backbone restaurant and brewery in Roseland - putting us 20 minutes out of our way but well worth it. The building itself was impressive - Lindal Log Home. The owners used recycled materials to make the floors, indoor and exterior walls and other finishings. The red roof was tin and right red umbrellas topped the outdoor tables.






What made this place unique was that they made their own beers - they offered about eight of their own beers on tap, ranging from a pale ale to a porter. We both ordered one of their beers and were delighted!



I ordered a salad made from vegetables grown in their own garden with feta cheese, sunflowers seeds and fresh red strawberries. My husband got meatloaf, potatoes and broccoli garnished with a spicy pepper. Their meat comes from local grass fed, hormone free humanely raised stock from Gryffon's Aerie . This farm raises heritage breed cows, pigs and lamb and the meats are dry aged.




Grass fed beef is leaner than grain fed and chock full of omega 3's. He said the beef was more like eating a lean steak rather than a meat loaf. Absolutely delicious.



The view was outstanding with the mountains surrounding us and the sky a vivid blue. We drove back through the mountains to I-81 and home.

Hope you enjoyed this outing for more red posts please be sire to visit Ruby Tuesday and Rednesday!

26 comments:

Jo said...

What a lovely stroll I went on with you, Cheri. Thanks for sharing this natural part of your world with me. Hope you're well, having to go to a doctor? Blessings Jo

Cafe au lait said...

Looks like a wonderful place to visit. Lunch looked yummy too.

I played too. Mine are here and here.

Maria @ LSS said...

Wonderful photos! Looks like you had a wonderful day at the orchard.

Manang Kim said...

Oh my what a lovely place for a weekend gate away. The food looks like yummy!! Happy Tuesday!
A Chevrolet red pick up

Odie Langley said...

Wow, I don't see how you were able to leave something as beautiful as that awesome place. Your photography makes me get lost in the scenes wanting to breathe the air and stroll all over the place. I will definately share this with my wife and see about making the journey ourselves. Thanks.
Odie

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow!!!! What a wonderful trip to the doctor's! Seriously! BTW, I hope you are ok and all is well with you!

Awww look at that lovely peach orchard and you got to pick your own fresh peaches too. I hope the golf courses go away and leave these orchards alone!

And the restaurant is such a find!!! Everything home made and organic! How brilliant is that? I love pubs/restaurants who brew their own beer!! They are truly unique!

Thanks for sharing these wonderful sights here.
Take care
x

EG Wow said...

What a wonderful place! Homemade beer sounds intriguing. :)

I love peaches ripened on the tree. Lucky you to pick your own.

bj said...

This all looks amazing. Those peaches on the tree are beautiful.

Vernz said...

I remember the song country Road .. is this the mountain that is being referred to? .. great!

BJ Roan said...

Sounds like a fun trip. The peaches sure look yummy, as does the food. Love the view of the mountains in the background and the umbrellas in the foreground. Beautiful!

Debbie Smith said...

Okay, I'm putting all these links in my favorites! What a beautiful place!

Stephanie V said...

What a wonderful day you had. I love that house. Using recycled materials and creating beauty with function is one of my passions. Thanks for sharing it with me.

reg said...

What a great place to hang out

Meri said...

Love the red umbrellas, but the commentary really makes the piece.

Appalachian Lady said...

I've heard about Crozet but haven't been there. Your post makes me want to go. The peaches have been very good in Virginia--the hot weather has made them sweeter.

Linda said...

What wonderful photos...makes me wish I could visit all these places myself! Your food looked yummy...homegrown and small farms are the best!The food is so much better..and better for you!

nannykim said...

Really interesting. I can't drink beer because I have to be gluten free, but my hubby loves these kinds of places. There are a few gluten free kinds of beer out there, but I have never found them in local breweries. I have heard that kind of beef is healthy...we don't have it around here so we haven't had beef in some time!

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

Beautiful pics! Of course 'peaches and beer' pulled me right in-looks like a nice day!

Ann said...

I know the town of Crozet very well. I lived near it for 3 years!! I have always said, Virginia is the prettiest state and has so much to offer, the mountains, the beach, the beautiful horse country and all that history!
Just a lovely, lovely state.
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

craftyles said...

Sounds like a wonderful place. The food looks great and homemade beer-sounds pretty good on a hot day!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Thank you so much for the tour! I've always wanted to see Shenandoah and the Blue Ridge Mountains - how lovely it is!

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Diann @ The Thrifty Groove said...

OMG! That food looks to yummy! The place looks like a cool place to visit!

sewingseeds4U said...

What a beautiful place to visit. The food looks wonderful,too.

Autumn Belle @ KDP said...

Its an interesting and wonderful trip!

Sweet Bee Cottage said...

What a wonderful and beautiful place. That restaurant sounds fantastic. I love how everything is seeming to go towards local and seasonal ingredients. I might have to try feta and sunflower seeds in on of my salads. The peaches are gorgeous too. I live where lots of stone fruit is grown but our orchards are not as pretty because we don't get any summer rain. The peach orchard you visited was lovely.

the garden harlot said...

the sky behind the structures was so fitting the day you snapped photos ! i love when that happens.

food photos always ! i'm trying to talk more people into the habit. the new york times did a story months ago about the sub-culture of people who photograph their food before they eat while dining out. i joined in on the now-obsession a year or two ago. keep it up ! beautiful sways of scenes too.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis