Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Lexington, VA



Last week I had a medical appointment in Virginia and my husband and I made a road trip out of it. We stopped to have lunch in a lovely historic old town of Lexington. Being a native New Englander, growing up surrounded by history, I was happily surprised at the amount of old buildings in pristine condition. Everywhere you looked was history! I wish we had more time or I knew better what I was looking at but I managed to grab some photos and being of brick most of the buildings are red!

Here is a bit of info on the town - The entire city of Lexington is listed on the Historic National Registry and can easily be enjoyed on foot, car, or from a carriage ride. The architecture in this picturesque 19th century town has been carefully preserved. With over 40 shops, downtown Lexington is a shopper’s paradise offering gifts, fine art, clothing, shoes, and more.

Located in the Shenandoah Valley just surrounded by the Blue Ridge Mountains, this area is one of my favorite in Virginia. The town is home to Washington and Lee University and Virginia Military Institute. Four generals have been a vital part of the history - George Washington, Robert E. Lee, Thomas Stonewall Jackson and George C. Marshall.









This looked like an interesting restaurant - every business was located inside a very old historic building. The Red Hen below was suggested as a great place to eat but it was closed that day.








For more red shots please visit Ruby Tuesday and Rednesday! And Outdoor Wednesday!

16 comments:

Stephanie V said...

What beautiful old buildings. I like how the red brick has softened with age. Too bad about the Red hen!

Debbie Smith said...

Oh I just love this arcitecture,something you don't have here in the desert for sure! How far is Lexington from the Tri-Cities in Eastern Tennessee? I hope to be that way soon and I would love to visit Lexington. Beautiful pictures!
Have a fabulous day!

Odie Langley said...

Great photograhpy Cheri and it's great to see all the buildings so well taken care of. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.
Odie

Manang Kim said...

Oh wow this building speaks history!! And how beautifully they are build each has a different character. Like it and thanks for sharing!

Red Fireworks

reg said...

These pics are amazing and the town seems to be so beautiful. Those old buildings are fantastic

Old Kitty said...

What a beautiful historic town!! It's so great to see its original beauty preserved so lovingly. What wonderful buildings - thanks for sharing!

I hope your medical appointment went well!
Take care
x

Susan said...

Nice article and photos! Lex Va is where I grew up... and only now as I am older can I see and appreciate the history and beauty that IS Lexington, and Rockridge County!
Susan

Sally Annie Magundy said...

What a charming town, thank you so much for the fun tour! The buildings are so delightful, how wonderful you had a chance to spend some time there.

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Sandy said...

What wonderful pieces of history! Someday I am going to come back there.....Wonderful "reds" !

Genie Robinson said...

Next time we have to meet for tea or a snack for the road, and I will show you around.....there is sososso much to see here. Your selection of buildings is GREAT. I will tell some of the fun stories about these properties.

Hugs,
Genie

D said...

Thanks for the tour and info on this. I'm planning a trip in that area hopefully next year.
D

LV said...

Thank you for a grand tour of Lexington. I have never been there so I really enjoyed it. An area filled with history is always more interesting.

AshTreeCottage said...

My husband and I visited Lexington when we used to live in Virginia. It is a charming town! Thanks for sharing the pics. It was great to see that sweet town again!

Love,
Susan and Bentley
xxoo

CACHANILLA73 said...

We lived in NC twice and I loved it!!

Linda said...

I just love looking at old buildings. Your photos are great! We don't have that kind of history here...thanks for sharing!

joven said...

beautiful blog..pls visit mine and be a follower.. thanks and God bless..

http://forlots.blogspot.com/

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis