Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Lake Tomahawk, Black Mountain



Just a few blocks from the town of Black Mountain sits Lake Tomahawk Park with all sorts of recreational facilities and a level walkway around the lake covering .55 miles. The gazebo shelters you from the sun and presents a lovely view of the mountains and fountain at the far end of the lake. Come with me as we take a stroll around the lake.



This family is set up for fishing and seems to be having some luck. The small island near shore is a wildlife sanctuary and some birdhouses ring the island - for ducks I guess?



Geese, ducks and other water fowl meander the shores. Even two butterflies stop on the path to visit.






The tennis courts, playground and picnic area are all adjacent to the Senior Center next to the pool. It looks very inviting, especially the colorful waterfall off the giant umbrellas at the this end of pool.



A small garden and a community garden add lots of color to the path and the bed and breakfast beckons....a close by getaway perhaps, and overlooking this lovely spot too.





The water funnels out into a small creek at the far end with a bridge to cross over. Looking back we are seeing Mount Mitchell - at 6,684 feet above sea level, the highest point east of the Rockies in the US. Look for the highest peak in the first photo below. The range is called the Seven Sisters.





The Seven Sisters are a locally well-known, much-beloved range. The range is only about three and a half miles long, encompassing seven neatly ascending “sisters” leading to their “father,” Greybeard Mountain. You can see the seven peaks int he photo below.



The fountain is more in view here and so is the Senior/Activity Center. Trees shade the path on his side of the lake and offer a respite from the sun. Once back we cross over another creek and back to the parking lot. Lots of ducks and geese have take over this quiet spot and seem to enjoy themselves.







Hope you liked the stroll - you can count it as part of your workout today! We are playing Outdoor Wednesday and Watery Wednesday today so please visit them too.

19 comments:

Olive Cooper said...

Beautiful North Carolina. I would love to visit the state more often. Thanks for sharing these pics. olive♥

Genie Robinson said...

You are wiping me out with your beautiful photos of “home”. I am coming to Asheville a week from Monday for 3 days. My best friend has had some strokes, so maybe I will be able to drive her out to BMt. to see how it has changed through the years. Be sure to post some more ideas for me before I leave. If you ever want a list of neat spots to visit in Asheville just let me know.

Hugs,
Genie @ buttonsforbaga.blogspot.com

Webster said...

Thanks for the stroll around the lake. It's a lovely park.

Luna Miranda said...

fantastic place! i love the gazebo by the lake, the pathway with trees--beautiful photos. i was supposed to visit Greensboro, NC last year but i ran out of time.:(

at the cottage said...

What beautiful photos. I have never been that far south, but it looks (and always sounds) wonderful

Thanks for sharing
Deb
teaandphotos.blogspot.com

J Bar said...

Great shots.
Sydney - City and Suburbs

Old Kitty said...

What a beautiful lovely stroll! Thank you!! The scenery is just breathtaking! I love that there is plenty to do for everyone while embracing the natural environment!! I love the Seven Sisters range leading up to their papa Greybeard Mountain!!

I used to live in "Seven Sisters" in north London! But I think it was named after seven ancient trees by ye romans!

Take care
x

Odie Langley said...

Cheri you are a very good photographer. Thanks for the tour. It was so beautiful and looked refreshing, especially the people cooling off under the water. I have seen the sign for Black Mountain when I used to travel into SC but never stopped. Now when we go to the mountains it is usually in the northern part since we are so close to the Va border. Always great to see places for the first time. Thanks

HOOTIN' ANNI said...

So very pretty....I would LOVE to spend the day there.

My Wednesday Post

EG Wow said...

This looks like a heavenly place to be this time of year.

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Absolutely gorgeous, Cheri.... That is one of the nicest parks I have ever seen. There's something for EVERYONE... I love it..

I've been to Mount Mitchell ---but didn't know about the 7 Sisters... Bet my husband knows though since he used to live in Black Mtn. many years ago... Was that park there back in the '70's????

Hugs,
Betsy
P.S. I love the overall look of your blog... The greens are so pretty.

Sherri said...

Such a beautiful place to have a visit! It's so nice to see so many places that are different where people are enjoying their summers! Have a fun Outdoor Wednesday! Sherri : )

Linda said...

I enjoyed my stroll very much, thank you! This is a wonderful place...I can't believe how many beautiful parts of the world I have seen today sitting at my computer and this ranks right up in my top 10:)

http://nannykim-nannykim.blogspot.com/ said...

I love the mts of nc and sc. Mount Mitchell is a favorite place of our family and we like eating at the lodge at the top. I like the trout!

Catherine said...

What a wonderful place to visit! Thank you for taking us along via your photos!!!! :)

xo Catherine

Light and Voices said...

Seven Sisters is the right name for that mountain range. Beautiful shots.
Joyce M

CafebyJW said...

Beautiful place to spend weeked over, lovely.


My Bangkok Through My Eyes

Jamiel said...

What a great place to have a vacation..
Lovely views..

Martha Z said...

What a delightful spot. It seems to have something for everyone whether they want to be active or just relax and enjoy the beauty.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis