Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Black Mountain on a Rosy Day



One of my favorite towns in Western North Carolina is Black Mountain. With a population of 8000, it is hardly large but it does boast lots of art galleries, antique shops, retreat and conferences centers, festivals galore and great places to eat. Hailed as the Front Porch of the Blue Ridge Mountains, the symbol of the town is a giant red rocking chair at the Chamber Office. Red seems to be the main color in town.



Cherry Street is the main drag with little alleys wandering off to the side streets. The train depot is now an art gallery with the red train car sitting ext to it. The train tracks still are used and run through downtown.



Being a resort town, they do a bang up job of decorating for the holidays. Over the 4th of July we came over here to buy an ice cream cone, wander through the streets and finally sitting on a rock wall to watch the fireworks shot up over town.






So many shops feature locally made crafts and art. I love to do my gift shopping here - giving others hand made items from where I live. The music scene here is fantastic with several clubs offering great local bands. The town sits in a valley surrounded by the Black and Blue Ridge Mountains - you can even see Mount Mitchell from downtown - the highest point in the Appalachians on the east coast.





Hope you enjoyed the visit. Please stop by Ruby Tuesday and a new meme I found Rednesday for more red photos!

20 comments:

JC said...

Thanks for walking me through this cute town !!!

reg said...

What a great town, It reminds me of an American version of a Nova Scotia town, from which I lived many years

Old Kitty said...

I love that enormous rocking chair!! How brilliant is that??

It sounds like an idyllic and perfect place to stay - I love the small shops and the bustling high street full of home grown talent from crafts to music to fabulous flower displays! That museum is brilliant - a great way to recycle a train carriage. And oh!!! Look at the views!!

Wonderful!
Thanks for sharing!!

Take care
x

Gee said...

very very nice, cute town

~~Carol~~ said...

Black Mountain looks and sounds like a really great place to visit! I've never been anywhere on the East coast, and I've always wanted to see North Carolina. It's on our list of places to visit!
Happy REDnesday!
Carol

Cindy Adkins said...

Wow, this is fantastic!!! Now, I'll have to look around town too!!!
Beautiful pictures...and so inspiring!!!
HUGS,
Cindy

Grannys Attic said...

Thanks for sharing we visit there about twice a year and love this little town. Blessings, Vicky

Joy @ Joy Of Desserts said...

It looks like such a nice little town. Thanks for sharing this field trip with us.
Happy Ruby Tuesday and REDnesday.

Mary said...

I haven't been to the NC mountains in years...I'm over due! Thanks for whetting my appetite :-)

daylily777 said...

Beautiful Pics ! Looks like a cool town! I have never been , I need to visit .
Blessings,
~Myrna

Odie Langley said...

Cheri, when I saw your front page I had to stop by. The favorite times of my life are when I am in the NC mountains. My wife & I were married in Maggie Valley and also visit West Jefferson as often as we can. I even share a post on my blog about "flatlander's dream". We love to shop in places like Mast General Stores. You can find my blog at http://odielangley.blogspot.com and email is odie@qualityofficeequipmentinc.com Have an awesome day and I will be following your blog.

Icy BC said...

What a beautiful place and gorgeous pictures!

Angela said...

Oh I just loved the red that you have shared today. Sure would love that red rocking chair for my home...wonder if my neighbors would like it if I placed it in my front yard,lol

Sally Annie Magundy said...

My father-in-law lives in NC and I'm hoping to visit one day soon. Thank you so much for sharing this charming town with us!

Happy Rednesday,
Sally

Lesa said...

I love NW NC-- We mainly based out of Asheville! What a cute town-- we'll add it to our itinery next time!

Thanks for visiting my RT!

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

What a charming town!! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

Debbie

craftyles said...

Looks like such a cute town. Love the pictures-I'd love to go there some day.

Ann said...

What a fantastic looking town and one that is close enough for my family to enjoy for the weekend. Thanks for sharing it with us.
Also, love that flower basket with the wooden stars, too cute!
Fondly,
Ann
@
The Tattered Tassel

EG Wow said...

I can see why you like this town! It's so quaint!

Genie Robinson said...

Thanks for carrying me back 60 years to my childhood at Camp Montreat and visiting my deaf Cousin Alma who is buried in Black Mountain. I lived in Asheville for 18 years up in the Manor Grounds and moved to VA 31 years ago. Thanks for the walk down memory lane. Loved your pictures.

Genie Robinson
buttonsforbaga.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis