Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Nantahala River Outdoor Center, Great Smoky Mountains



We like to take a very scenic drive south into the Great Smoky Mountains National Park to meander along the Nantahla River where lots of people go white water rafting. It is cool and refreshing here in summer even if the temps are high. We usually stop for lunch at one of the three great places to eat along the river and just enjoy watching the kayaks go by!

Since 1972, the Nantahala Outdoor Center or NOC has shared the outdoors with millions of guests on white water river rafting trips, with all varieties of kayak and canoe instruction, on mountain bikes and around the world with adventure travel trips. When you visit Nantahala headquarters, you'll also find a complete outdoor destination with lodging options, three restaurants and a pub, a fully-stocked Outfitter's Store, the Wesser General Store and Fly Shop and the Nantahala Welcome Center.


When we have had lots of rain the water can be running pretty fiercely! The word "Nantahala" is a Cherokee Indian word meaning "Land of the Noonday Sun." The name is appropriate as, in some spots, the sun only reaches the floors of the deep gorges of the national forest when directly overhead at midday


Here is one of the restaurants - great spot right on the river!



You can rent kayaks, take lessons or just enjoy the activity at the Outdoor Center. I am hoping this year I may be able to purchase a used kayak for myself at the end of the year sale they have in September! Big discounts on very nice kayaks. I am not into white water but would use it on the lakes nearby! I am not that brave!



For more water and outdoor picts please visit Watery Wednesday and Outdoor Wednesday!

5 comments:

RyHeAnNe said...

It seems so fresh over there, I love the greenery :) I mean the green nature. Hehe

Here's mine Watery Wednesday

Poetic Shutterbug said...

That looks like so much fun to spend some time there and surrounded by such beauty.

Cindy said...

Lovely photos, I have never been to the
Great Smokey Mountains. We almost went one time, but changed our minds. Looks like we missed out on some lovely landscapes.

Old Kitty said...

Nantahla river! I had to read that very carefully to get the name right. Nantahla. What a very very interesting name! I'm hoping it means something very spiritual and profound!

Oh but look at the scenery surrounding this river. How beautiful. That restaurant balcony overhanging the river is amazing!!! What a way to enjoy your meal. Fab!

As I can't swim, anything to do with water apart from dipping my feet in it is about as exciting as I want it to be!! So I think I'll just wave to you as you meander along in your kayak from the safety of the shore! :-)

Take care
x

gaias daughter said...

Cheri, I'm rather new to your blog and really loving it. I currently live in Pensacola, Florida, but I've been dreaming about moving to the mountains of North Carolina for some time now, so your blog inspires me every time I read it. Unfortunately, my husband and partner in life does not share my enthusiasm for the mountains, so dream is all I can do at present. . .

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis