Saturday, June 12, 2010

Lake Lure Water Birds......

We live a short drive from Lake Lure (where they filmed Dirty Dancing) and like to drive down there for a change in pace, to eat out or have some ice cream at the local stand.





The Lake Lure Inn is the building in the background - a beautiful place where many weddings take place. In fact one was going on the day we visited the town. LakeLure has a lovely little beach with lifeguard stand like any other but on this day it was an unusual sight to see...




A group of vultures or buzzards had staked out the lifeguard stand for their own and were sitting on it or around it. We could see some large birds there but upon closer look were very surprised to see these guys.






Not my idea of water birds...but hey! Hope you enjoyed my critter shots for today. For more click on Camera Critters.

10 comments:

The Happy Homemaker said...

I love Lake Lure!As a chid, we vacationed in the NC mountains every year.Before the new roads were built, we would have to travel through Rutherfordton,Bat Cave,Lake Lure and Chimney Rock on our way to Maggie Valley and the Cherokee Reservation.I will always, always miss those days:)I love visiting your blog...it makes me a little homesick, but I love it!

Jo said...

Hi Cherie;) it looks so peaceful there, no wonder the birds came to stake the area out! Thanks for sharing.

Iowa Gardening Woman said...

Nice shots, always fun to see some different birds.

Snap said...

What a beautiful place. Looks like the vultures have very good taste!

A Garden of Threads said...

Wonderful shots, they are guarding the beach. Have a wonderful weekend.

Naturegirl said...

Great shots and bless you for rescuing feral cats!

eileeninmd said...

Looks like a great place to visit, the vultures do look like they are on guard.

Old Kitty said...

Buzzards! Brilliant - and vultures too! Brilliant, brilliant birds! Wonderful to see them wild and free like this.

And what a bonus to see where Dirty Dancing was filmed - how wonderful. Doesn't it look even more romantic here? I can see why people would like to set their wedding here. Beautiful, tranquil and stunning.

Thank you.

Take care
x

Madi and Mom said...

"No one puts Baby in a corner"!!! That is one of my favorite lines from Dirty Dancing probably because it is followed by my favorite dance.Oh me oh my how many times have I seen Dirty Dancing? As many times as I've been to the area I've never visited Lake Lure...it is beautiful and it will be on my list of to do next visit. Thank you for the pictures.
Madi and Mom

cat said...

What a beautiful place! The buzzards look fantastic :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis