Saturday, May 1, 2010

Happy May Day!



May Day (May 1) is a spring festival celebrating human fertility and the renewal of nature. The festival originated with the celebration of the Roman goddess Flora and spread to other countries of the Roman Empire. May Day was especially popular in England during medieval times. Activities centered around the maypole, a tree collected from the woods and brought to the village to celebrate the upcoming summer.

This holiday has long since faded away but as a child I remember celebrating May Day at school with processions of little girls dressed in white dresses with flowers in our hair and adorning the statue of Mother Mary with a beautiful flower crown.

At home I would make tiny bouquets of wildflowers tied with a ribbon and leave them on doorsteps of elderly neighbors as a surprise gift. May Day is a quaint old fashioned holiday from days gone by. It does make me smile to remember. On an upbeat note - our town is reviving the Maypole with a celebration and dance today - of course I am working so will miss it - nice to think it is making a comeback!

Hope you enjoy the flowers of May in my yard - early mountain laurel, more azaleas, bluebells, lily of the valley and more!














I am participating in Scenic Sunday , Straight Out of the Camera Sunday and Today's Flowers. Be sure to stop by and visit them!

13 comments:

Cher' Shots said...

Happy May Day to you too! I love this posting and have 'linked' you on my blog today!
Your flowers are gorgeous!

cat said...

Happy May day! You have a very beautiful garden. Thank you for sharing :)

JC said...

I remember my Mom telling me about May Day celebrations with a pole and ribbons and girls with flowers. Thanks for the reminder ...

Old Kitty said...

Hi

Awwwww what lovely flowers in your beautiful garden - I really really adore close ups of flowers because I can really see and admire their true perfection!

Happy May Day!!

The pic of your beautiful bouquet of flowers in that lovley cone is a perfect celebration of such a glorious day.

Take care
x

Take care

Hilda said...

Your flowers are all so gorgeous!

It is still summer in the Philippines and May 1 is Labor Day for us, but because it is Spring there: Happy May Day! :)

Denise said...

Such an enjoyable post and the photos are lovely.

Dave said...

Love them all, ....so gorgeous!

Jan said...

Thanks for sharing the floral bounty. Beautiful photos.

EG Wow said...

Spring sure is pretty in your garden!

noel said...

aloha,

happy may day to you also, love all the beautiful flowers, especially your white azaleas very sweet.


thanks for sharing today

SandyCarlson said...

Happy May, to you, too! Beautiful flowers.

guild-rez said...

Beautiful spring flower pictures!!
- Cheers Gisela.
Flowers are the sweetest things God ever made
and forgot to put a soul to.
(Henry Ward Beckford)

NCmountainwoman said...

Beautiful photographs. I remember May Day programs at school. When I asked my husband if he remembered them he did not. Then he reminded me he went to an all-boys parochial school.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis