Thursday, April 22, 2010

Happy Earth Day 2010!



Since today is Earth Day and the word for Thursday Challenge is food we will combine these two concepts!



We try to grow much of our food in the warm months. Hubby is an old hippie (and Chef) and has been gardening organically forever. This year he is trying straw bale gardening and has planted our tomatoes in the bales.





We have broccoli, lettuces and kale in already since they are cold hardy and mulch them down with straw.



If we don't grow our food we try to buy locally from organic farms nearby - it saves on transportation, processing and they are fresher. Our area has many farms for cheeses, meats, eggs, bakeries for breads and local connections to sustainable fishing sources for fish.





We also have an organic farm in town with a produce stand - when they are open we get our fruits, veggies and flowers there.





Fresh food just tastes sooo much better than grocery market food. Fresh food can make simple recipes can seem like gourmet. Happy Earth Day!


For more food photos visit Thursday Challenge!

9 comments:

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Hi Cheri, I don't know what else to do with my blog to make it faster for you. Do you have an old computer? Maybe you need to get some more memory.... I'm sorry. I have changed to six pictures instead of 8-12 which I used to post. It's my large pictures I'm sure. I could make them smaller--but I really don't want to... Again, I am so sorry.

We don't have any sources for buying organic food around our area... I do know that one of our grocery stores does buy all of its produce locally --so that is good. AND---there are roadside places where we can get fresh produce in summer.

I admire you all for going 'organic'... We do alot of things to protect the earth --but that is not one of them, at least at this time.

Hugs,
Betsy

Jo said...

Well done to you and hubby, Cherie. I love the look of the Roasted Garlic Hummus.

helenmac said...

this hay bale gardening looks like a great idea! we take part in a Community Supported Agriculture program and "farmer" brings fresh produce for pickup every week. Thank you for this Earth Day posting!

Gattina said...

I didn't know that it was Earth day today, but I also try to eat healthy food and not use to much chemical products in our garden.

Appalachian Lady said...

Living in the woods, it's been very difficult to grow enough to can. I don't want to cut down the trees. I admire your garden. Happy Earth Day to you too!

Old Kitty said...

Oh wow!!!

The straw thing is really working!! Look at all those lovely baby veggie plants - I am so so so impressed!

and I am all for buying food that is locally sourced. And what a variety - there's hummus, goat's cheese, olive bread, freshly picked fruit and veg. Wonderful!

Happy, happy Earth Day - this is a great way to celebrate!

Take care
x

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

I wish I knew more about straw bale gardening. How does the dirt for the tomato roots get inside the bale? When I lived in Sonoma County CA we did a lot of straw mulching, but here is Seattle it is sort of frowned on, I gather.

Cher' Shots said...

OMG I just read an article about straw gardening, it really intriqued me too. Is this your first attempt at it? So far your plants look fantastic. Good luck.

Carol@ Writers Porch/ Book House said...

Love the straw bale growing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis