Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Baby Goats

We live across the road from a pasture where our neighbor raises dairy goats - Nubians. I used my telephoto on my camera but it is not a good one - excuse the grainy photos!

It is almost time for the kids to be born and the other day I happened to be outside when I noticed one of the goats sitting funny. When she stood up there was a kid next to her!



She had given birth in the pasture - not normal since the owner usually keeps the mothers-to-be up in the high pasture near his house. Since I am new to farming life, I wasn't sure whether to drive over to the house to tell them they had a baby goat or leave it be. I have done things like this and felt dumb after!




The baby did not move much and I watched to see if she was OK! Mom seemed perplexed and looked around like looking for help!










Finally the baby stood up and looked OK. I guess Mom went up to the barn without the baby - too long a walk for her but the owner came down to see where she was and brought her up. I will not see her for a while - until she gets a little bigger and stronger.

We got the Mr. Morgan's phone number now in case this happens again - he lives on the side road on top of a ridge. We can see the house but have to drive up there. It is too far to walk. He told my husband he will keep the pregnant ones up at the barn - "Full moon is coming and that's when they will all be born" he told us. I can't wait for the little ones to join the others in the pasture.

For more posts from all over the world visit My World Tuesday. For posts showing the natural world visit Outdoor Wednesday!

16 comments:

Kea said...

Oh, how adorable! I'm glad the little one is okay.

So they're all born during a full moon? How odd--but neat!

Old Kitty said...

Oh my goodness!!

I am so glad you were there to alert Mr Morgan!

The baby goat is so, so tiny!! I love that it stood up to suckle - I guess in the wild they had to before some predator came by.

These are great pics - I hope the pasture will soon be covered in these sweet creatures!

Take care
x

Sylvia K said...

The little one is tiny indeed and so sweet! I'm so glad it's ok! How fun to be able to watch them out in the pasture! Love your photos! Have a great day!

Sylvia

Jo said...

Phew! I held my breath until I saw your photo of the kid getting up. You are a kind and considerate neighbour. Well done, Cheri. Have a wonderful day.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

That is so cool! I loved the pics just awesome! Cindy

Ms. Bake-it said...

Had me worried for a minute there! So glad the kid was okay. Great photos!

~ Tracy

ellen b said...

Wow that is very cool. I'm glad you have his phone # now...
Those were great shots from far away! :0)

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

How wonderful to witness the miracle of birth! I'm glad the baby goat survived and that the owner found them and took them to safety.
Happy Outdoor Wednesday!
Pat

Anne Fannie said...

How sweet! Glad to see mommy and baby is doing good!

eileeninmd said...

They are adorable, I just love all baby animals. Maybe she is a first time mom.

LV said...

I have heard so many different things happen when the moon is full. Guess it applies to goats as well.

Amanda said...

Thanks for sharing a little piece of "your world". How wonderful to live in a place surrounded by nature!

NCmountainwoman said...

Wonderful post! Every year we go to the Carl Sandburg home to see the baby goats, some of which are Nubians. I loved the photographs.

Snuggly Monkey mama said...

How sweet! Glad mama & baby are doing well. How amazing to have been able to photograph this. We are heading out to your neck of the woods soon. I love Western NC!

Atticmag said...

So charming and restorative to see nature take it's course in that way. -- Jane F.

CailinMarie said...

Oh I enjoyed this. I have romantic notions about farming one of these days and of course I have not one clue. I wouldn't know what to do either!
Happy Outdoor Wednesday, CailinMarie

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis