Saturday, February 13, 2010

New Snow and Bird Count!




We participated in the Great Backyard Bird Count (see sidebar). We got 3 inches of new snow last night and the birds were at the feeders although not so many as I would have thought. The feeder I used was a hanging dish feeder in the rhododendron bush next to the house. As you can see it is very cold (20's with single digit wind chill). I love how the rhodos curl up their leaves in the cold. You can tell the temperature by just looking at the leaves - the tighter the curl the colder it is. As the sun warms up they unfurl.





We had mostly Juncos with a couple of Chickadees, Titmice and one Carolina Wren - my favorite. If I had a better camera I could get closer photos. Happy birdwatching!





For more Camera Critters visit here.

8 comments:

LeAnn * ~ See Great Things said...

Looks like a lovely place to live! Sweet birds. ~

Lisa said...

Great photos and brave little birdies! :)

NCmountainwoman said...

The birds look so beautiful in the snow. But I'm ready for spring.

CE Webster said...

Great pictures! I can't wait to dig out of this snow. Think spring!

Betsy from Tennessee said...

Think you have had enough snow this winter????? ha ha ... Seems like every Friday--you all have alot of snow... Maybe Spring will get here someday!!!!

We had flurries today--and supposed to get snow tomorrow and Monday... It's been cloudy and merky here since Jan. 31...

Love the snow on your rhodie!!!! Pretty...

Good luck with the bird count.
Hugs,
Betsy

eileeninmd said...

Lovely birds and photos! I am doing the GBBC too, it is fun.

Lola said...

Love that snow. We very seldom get it here. It's been very cold. I have lost most of my plants.
I really enjoy seeing the birds in the snow. They are so pretty.

lv2scpbk said...

That first picture of the snow and trees is beautiful but I'm tired of snow now. We're suppose to get more this week again. Happy Valentines Day!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis