Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Fred's General Mercantile, Beech Mountain



One of my favorite places to visit in the fall is Fred's General Mercantile located on Beech Mountain. Beech, as we call it, is Eastern America's Highest Town at an elevation of 5506'.

Celebrating it's 30th year, Fred's is open 365 days a year, and they claim that if they don't have it then you don't need it! I like to pick up pumpkins, decorative corn, gourds and fall decorations here - the prices are great.

The store serves the needs of visitors, skiers, snowboarders, summer folks, and locals alike. Remember when each small town or village always had a general store that served as the center of the community? This is what visiting Fred's brings to mind. They carry food, hardware, clothing, pet supplies, bird feeders, videos to rent, books, seasonal decorations, and so much more. And they even have a deli to grab a bite for lunch while in the area.

During the summer months they offer free concerts on the green next to the store featuring local music. It is a long and steep drive up the mountain, but well worth the visit! For more info go to Fred's General Mercantile.

For more posts from all over the world visit My World Tuesday.

11 comments:

chrome3d said...

It doesn´t seem outside that they have everything but I have to believe it. They seem more like pumpkin experts!

Sylvia K said...

Looks like my kind of store! Love the pumpkins!

Have a great week!

Sylvia

Pam said...

Fred's sounds like I place I would love to roam around in. I have been to Beech Mountain before but we miss this wonderful old general store.
I wandered through your blog and was delighted with all of your beautiful photos, thanks for the journeys.
Pam :)

Louise said...

Charming place, and they are probably right about what I need!

moe lauher said...

Fred's looks like a great place to shop and spend a little time. I love wandering around stores like this. You never know when I might find something I can't live without.

JC said...

I love places like that. I wish I had one nearby ...

eileeninmd said...

It looks like a fun place, it is nice that they sell everything under the sun.

SandyCarlson said...

That looks like a neat place. Beautiful.

Pop and Ice said...

Looks like such a great place to shop! Let's hope no big box stores replace it!

Eleanor said...

Fred's general sounds like my kind of store. I definitely will come away with yet another bird feeder and that deli sounds tempting.

Lawstude said...

looks like a nice place to hang around. thanks for sharing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis