Saturday, September 12, 2009

Bear Visitors


Photo from the Asheville Citizen Times.

We have had many black bear sightings in the mountains here this spring and summer. This one was taken by a man visiting a nearby construction site. He headed back to his car and who was in the driver seat but this mom and two cubs. He made loud noises and they got out of the car and left. Unfortunately the seats were all muddy and covered in drool!

Our screen porch was ambushed by one fellow a couple of months back. He smelled the dry cat food we leave out for the kitties and tried to get inside. Thankfully we lined the screen with hog wire just in case a wild animal wanted to come in. My husband ran out with a flashlight, pelting him with golf balls and banging on pots and pans to scare him off. It worked but now we don't keep any food items outside at all at night.





A neighbor had a bear break into his mobile home recently and trash his kitchen looking for his dogs' food. Where were his two dogs that night I wonder? Bears can enter homes through unlocked doors and screens - so be forewarned.

The Beaver Lake area of Asheville is being harassed by a gang of several yearling male bears and my friend Emily ran into one while out walking a few weeks ago. It was dusk and she was almost home when a young male cane out from between two houses and headed towards her. She backed up slowly to the nearest door. She pounded on the door yelling "Let me in. There is a bear out here."

A little old lady opened the door a crack and Emily asked her if she could please come in. "There is a bear behind me." "Yep I can see him," the older woman replied. Emily slipped inside quickly and slammed the door on the bear. Who would think taking a walk in your neighborhood could be dangerous?


Bears at Grandfather Mountain Wildlife Area.

It seems there have been more sightings in our area possibly due to more cubs being born this year. Also the new Tiger Woods golf course is under construction at the Cliffs in our town - possibly driving the bear population to other areas like ours. Hopefully when that quiets down, the bears will head back up there!

For more posts about animals of all kinds visit Camera Critters.

8 comments:

JD and Max said...

Hi Cheri - it must be scary when bears are trying to get into your home, but they are wonderful creatures nonetheless. We don't have anything as scary as that in the UK! Schnauzer snuggles - JD and Max.

Carletta said...

Let's see - warning, when in bear country roll up car windows. :)
Having one near the back porch would be a little too near for me.
Great shots!

Carletta’s Captures.

Luna said...

ohmigod, what a story!
I could be very scary too!
purrs,love and Happy Camera critters
Luna

Anonymous said...

I would have freaked out, if I had been the lady walking I don't think I would have been able to think fast enough to knock on a random door.
We always think bears are so cute but wouldn't want to come face to face with one. I like the golf ball throwing, way to go Don.

eileeninmd said...

I think bears are wonderful!

mimi said...

gosh a black bear was in the your car. amazing shot.

Rebecca of Sunny Morning Farm said...

OMG We just had a momma and two cubs by our pond about 2 weeks ago. They were beautiful but scared me to death! A friend about 10 miles from us saw three cubs in the edge of his yard yesterday!! They have been sited all around us recently.

I am a fraidy cat and I don't go outside after dark now!! My daughter and I went shopping Fri night and came home after dark. I opened my car door and sorta crawled out face to face with a furry black dog OMG Heart failure!!! Was a large lab puppy that someone dropped!!

GreensboroDailyPhoto said...

I've seen two black bears near the side of the interstates in the NC/VA/WV area. In one case, a black bear was just sitting on the side of the road. Does anyone know why they are so forward these days?

Great photo. Thanks for sharing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis