Saturday, May 23, 2009

Rhododendron in bloom - Scenic Sunday


Rhododendrons are native to the mountains of Western North Carolina. Some are large with deep fuchsia blooms. We have bushes as large as small trees on our land. They are in full bloom right now and magnificent.

In the higher mountains along the Blue Ridge Parkway, the rhododendrons are pale pink to white in color and thrive in the dense underbrush of the hardwood trees in the forest. During certain years when it has been very dry they will all bloom at the same time. If you stand at the edge of the Parkway and look into the forest, as far as you can see will be pale pink and white rhododendron blooms glowing in the dark shade of the leafed out trees. It is breathtaking and only happens every so many years in late spring. Last year was one of those years and these are my photos of that beautiful event. Enjoy!






Scenic Sunday
Click the photo to see other Scenic Sunday posts.

7 comments:

Bim said...

Lovely and fresh spring greens!

Bonnie Bonsai said...

I will survive in places where flowers, shrubs and trees with birds are my only companions. In Blue Mountains, maybe two hours away from Sydney or even less, Rhodos are in full bloom around September to November. That is our Springtime. But I think they are bloomy in cold places like Canberra. Nice pictures.

Tricia said...

Very nice SS post - I love the path through the woods photo

mountain.mama said...

I used to live in Charlottesville, VA very near to the Blue Ridge and the rhododendrons were some of my favorites. Very lovely shots.

April said...

What a treat it would be to see the rhododendrons all blooming at the same time. Beautiful!

Janie said...

Wow, the forest is so lush. I love all the blooms.

Raleighite said...

Great website. Many memories of being at the former Camp Yonahlossee in Blowing Rock, NC. I've never seen the rhododendrons bloom, however. I have to make that scene before I die!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

ShareThis